Re: Scuzzy drives

At Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:32:44 -0500 Dances With Crows <danSPANceswithTRAPcrows@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ignoramus27006 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
Are SCSI drives hot pluggable?

Yes.

system guy just inserted two scsi drives (little server grade drives).
No new related messages appeared in /var/log/messages. Do I need to
reboot to see those drives?

google://"rescan-scsi-bus.sh" for a script that will do the thing it's
named for. Or add the drives manually with:

Caution: rescan-scsi-bus.sh works fine with a 2.4 kernel, but can cause
a 2.6 kernel to hang (or crash, I forget which). At least the version I
happen to have. I have an AHA-2940UW controller with a two-drive Dell
'hot-swap' (SCA) bay. This is NOT any sort of RAID, I just got tired of
having way to much fun with my screw driver when changing drives, for
whatever reason.

echo "scsi-add-single-device X Y Z W" > /proc/scsi/scsi

...replacing X Y Z W with host, bus, ID, and LUN of the new device.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@xxxxxxxxxxxx -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

.