Re: Installing Fedora 6 on Windows XP with VMWare

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:33:07 -0800 (PST), kimi <stever1998@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm not an expert at this, really a novice, just trying it out to get
more experience with Linux. I'm going to install Fedora 6 (RHEL) on a
Dell Dimesion 5000 running Windows XP. Having heard horror stories
about dual booting and repartioning hard drives, a co-worker suggested
that in order to not worry about partitioning, to install VMWare first
and then install Linux separately as a guest OS.

I've installed VMWare am trying to install Fedora 6 but it's asking
about partitioning types I should use:

-remove all partitions
-remove linux partitions
-use free space on selected drives
-create custom layout

If I choose all partitions, will it remove all partitions for my
entire harddrive or just the 8GB of harddrive space I allocated via
VMWare for Linux?

If you are doing the installation _within_ vmware, it will only
affect the virtual disk that you created. If you are actually
booting the installation CD on the bare hardware, that's another
matter entirely.

To ease your mind, use the "create custom layout" option and verify
that the drive it presents to you is the virtual one.

I have done just what you are trying and it works quite well.

Bill
--
William D Waddington
william.waddington@xxxxxxxxxx

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Trying to install Linux on a Win XP machine
    ... Trying to install Linux on a Win XP machine ... windows and all the included applications if something goes wrong. ... >> unable to find DOS or superblock or Sun or other partitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: New first time install
    ... > first one has two partitions both XP NTFS. ... > Linux and if possible, use part of it with both systems for file storage. ... /swap 256MB to 1GB swap ... > install, or would it be better to wait for the disk to arrive. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [opensuse] Re: Suse 10.3 install - oh dear (rant only)
    ... when I share an opinion, I make an effort to do so in an unemotional way. ... Linux, and oftentimes suggest it to people who are willing to try ... is important to take into consideration not only the feedback that comes ... likely able to install the product on their own, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Trying to install Linux on a Win XP machine
    ... During the Slackware install, I was ... > superblock or Sun or other partitions. ... I was able to install a number of ext3 partitions and a Linux ... > I am somewhat ignorant about the low-level mechanics of hard drives, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)