Grub problem

I have a remotely administered machine that has lost its boot sector.

We've created a grub floppy and reinstalled the stage 1, 1.5, and 2
loaders.

Now on reboot we're getting a message that says,

"Console redirect"

and the machine freezes.

As far as we know, console redirection is not enabled anywhere on the
machine.

So.... Is it possible that grub used some random file rather than its
stage 1 loader?

The machine has a boot partition, and we used

grub> find /grub/stage1

hd(0,0)
hd(1,0)

grub> root hd(0,0)
grub> setup hd(0)
grub> root hd(1,0)
grub> setup hd(1)

to install the bootloader on both RAID-1 mirrors. Grub installed
everything without any errors.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty stumped....

--Yan

  • Re: [solved] Grub hangs (after kernel update?)
    ... boot sector of my boot partition ). ... related to installing the new kernel and to the partition approaching full ... I don't think this is due to grub, ... I did not copy the new boot sector to replace the chaining file used by ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [debian-user] How to copy a laptop HD?
    ... This might have prevented copying the boot sector, ... Would it work even if the destine ... partition is bigger (I read somewhere it works perfectly when source ... For some reason grub doesn't ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue - Fixed!
    ... boot sector right away, just in case. ... that I needed to update the boot sector file that NTLDR used. ... Sounds like you will have to do this every time the kernel ... He will need to do this every time GRUB is updated. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: moving RH9 to a different computer
    ... I've never used grub-install (it's broken under SuSE ... I think this meaning of "root" is the grub meaning, ... Stage 1 is what goes in the boot sector. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [solved] Grub hangs (after kernel update?)
    ... and applied the same solution before searching the ... I don't think this is due to grub, ... I think that the only affect that the new kernel had was ... I did not copy the new boot sector to replace the chaining file used by ...
    (Fedora)