verifying that unzipped directories are the same? (tar problems)

Hi, there, I am moving my website from one linux server to another.

I have basically been gzipping the tar file, scp to the new site and
there it is.

But I'm having problems when untarring at the other end.

I'm getting some error messages. They may be harmless, but I don't
know.

Here's my main problem. How can I compare a directory with about
20,000 files and subdirectories inside to make sure everything is
basically there in the unzipped version?

Is there an easy way to find out some stats on one directory. (number
of files, directories, total size etc).

I'm acting under the assumption that the main problem would be missing
files or directories or that the unzip process stopped unzipping
things when it reached the error message. So really what I need to
find is how many files made it and the paths of those that didn't.

the end of my screen messages for the tgz were for some media files.
Any help would be appreciated.

I can remove the last few media files and trying zipping/unzipping
again. But the gzip file is already about 800 mb already. I don't want
to keep doing this only to find out there are 100s of files giving
problems.

Robert Nagle

teleread/StGregorysTestAudio.wav
teleread/telepodSadi16August2005.wav
teleread/valleygirl.wav
teleread/BLOSSOM-JOHN 2.9.06.wma
teleread/Juliet2.wma
teleread/LCdavidpresentation.wma

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
[rjnagle@web27 27test]$ ls

  • verifying that unzipped directories are the same? (tar problems)
    ... I'm getting some error messages. ... But the gzip file is already about 800 mb already. ... tar: Unexpected EOF in archive ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: verifying that unzipped directories are the same? (tar problems)
    ... I'm getting some error messages. ... But the gzip file is already about 800 mb already. ... tar: Unexpected EOF in archive ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: How to untar .tar.gz when you dont have "-z" option?
    ... >Following are the error messages the code generated: ... OK, there is definitely an odd version of tar on that platform, as ... The 'broken pipe' error ... since gunzip was unable to put any there. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: Moving /usr problem
    ... > I've installed a new hard disk and decided to shift /usr. ... Try using cp -ax rather than tar? ... please try to list the exact text of the error messages ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: cant install printer
    ... I just noticed that the error messages that I mentioned in my last post did ... tar: Unexpected EOF in archive ... checking for a BSD-compatible install... ... and I was not able to go on to test printing again. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)