Re: Ailing disk

H.K. Kingston-Smith :
One of my hard drives seems to be dying. Today I noticed that,
all of sudden, it would be mounted read-only. The following messages are
present in my logs:

hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=41289,
sector=41287
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 41287
journal_bmap: journal block not found at offset 4108 on hdb1
Aborting journal on device hdb1.
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device hdb1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted
journal
Remounting filesystem read-only

I therefore unmounted it and attempted to do an fsck on it. This
is what I got:

# fsck /dev/hdb
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
/sbin/e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/
hdb

What is the next step? Can fsck coerced into attempting to fix
things? The drive can still be mounted without any problems, and the data
it contains can still be read. What can I do to maximize my chances to
keep the data? I have ordered a new drive, but it will take a few days to
arrive. In the meantime, copying the data is not an option, for I haven't
got storage for it (it's a 120G drive.)

Back it up NOW, replace the drive, restore the data. That drive is in
its death throes and about to kill the filesystem.

--
My world is cold
and without hope.

www.websterscafe.com