Linux boot stops at GRUB.

I have a box with Fedora 8.
I just did a complete "yum update" and then reboot the system.
After POST, I get the word GRUB at the top left, and there it stops!

I used the Fedora 8 Rescue CD to load the system into /mnt/sysimage
and look at the /boot/grub/grub.conf.
Everything looks fine.
(It's not dual boot, but it does have two menu entries for two
kernels.)
The only real difference (other than the kernel versions) between
grub.conf and a backup from a year ago is in the kernel lines, the old
one has:
root=LABEL=/12
while the new one doesn't have the 12. I tried adding the 12, but it
still stalls at GRUB.
root (hd0,0) is the same on both.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks!
-Liam

  • new F10 kernel borked?
    ... On Fedora 10: ... I just got a new kernel, apparently today, and when I rebooted I was greeted ... So I boot up the rescue disc and remove relatime. ... reboot several more times. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: NIC driver problems
    ... > I have a Fedora C1 box that was working correctly from several months. ... > Yesterday I have rebooted after the upgrade to the new kernel ... > changed between reboot. ... The only way I could get the card to work was to disable ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problems with Gnome and Samba after Yum...
    ... I'm using a 2.6.7 kernel compiled from source. ... I have been able to reboot and successfully use the share. ... I will try a Fedora supplied kernel and see if I have any luck. ... >the gnome issue, I have no idea what the problem is. ...
    (Fedora)
  • NIC driver problems
    ... I have a Fedora C1 box that was working correctly from several months. ... Yesterday I have rebooted after the upgrade to the new kernel ... The network card is a 3com 3C905TX-B. ... changed between reboot. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: kernel update warning
    ... >> I just saw that opensuse 10.3 has an warning when there is a kernel update. ... >> What do you think would this also be nice if Fedora had something like ... When the updater is done running it asks if you want to reboot ...
    (Fedora)