Re: How do you get Firefox to open on a remote machine?

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:30:27 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

At Mon, 02 Jun 2008 20:34:48 -0500 General Schvantzkopf
<schvantzkopf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 18:53:57 -0500, Ignoramus27711 wrote:

On 2008-06-02, General Schvantzkopf <schvantzkopf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There seems to be a new feature in Firefox that causes it to always
open on the client system rather than on the server system. To
clarify

ssh from A -> B
execute Firefox on B

Do you do ssh -X or without -X?

I think that you are forgetting -X

Firefox opens on A rather than B. This makes using a browser based
configuration tool from an remote system impossible.

Is there to force Firefox to open on the system that it was invoked
on rather than the system that ssh originated on?

X forwarding is on, that's not the problem.

Here is a little more data. If I start Firefox with the command

firefox

it links to a running Firefox. If I type the explicit path, /usr/bin/
firefox, then it launches a fresh copy. It's not a simple path problem
because which firefox resolves to /usr/bin/firefox.

It appears that if there is any instance of Firefox running the command
firefox will launch a new instance of the running Firefox. It doesn't
have to be a local copy that's running. I tried the experiment where I
launched Firefox 1.5 on a remote CentOS5 system then executed firefox
on a remote Fedora 9 system. Another instance of Firefox 1.5 started
rather than the Firefox 3 on the F9 box. I'm doing all this from my
workstation which is running F7.

Have a look at /usr/bin/firefox -- it is just a bash script. It is quite
instructive...

I use the following:

PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:/opt/MozillaFirefox/lib:$PATH MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
firefox-bin -ProfileManager

....and I wish the firefox team hadn't gone out of their way to make this
"easy".

BTW, if you want to run firefox locally but connect to resources from the
perspective of a remote machine, you can also use ssh tunneling or
zebedee or something. That way, you get the benefit of running as though
you were on the remote system, without the X traffic over the network.

  • Re: firefox of ssh x11
    ... > I have a remote debian machine on which I want to run firefox over ssh ... > with X11 forwarding. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Remote login, graphically?
    ... I can already login via SSH and fix things with a text editor. ... Now, I'd like to start several X programs on her machine, but have the user interface on my machine. ... However, when I start "firefox", I get the following error after some time waiting: ... The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: x forwarding over SSH
    ... I notice that on Windows, Firefox lingers for a few moments after the ... some applications, even when I closed the application itself, the SSH ... then I close the xclock app, the ssh session exits. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Remote login, graphically?
    ... I have installed Ubuntu on my mother's machine. ... I have tunneled X through SSH with: ... "firefox", I get the following error after some time waiting: ... The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Partial SNAFUs - X11Forwarding etc.
    ... consolecommand "ssh -XY username@P2" ... consolecommand "ssh -XY username@P2 firefox" ... If its just to stop clients messing around with each other's stuff, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)