Re: Possible Memory Leak with Fedora 9 64-bit?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:01:55 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:48:58 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:

Anyone experiencing what appears to be a memory leak with Fedora 9 64-
bit? System is unusable--keyboard unresponsive and cursor barely so,
all apps frozen. There is continuous hard drive activity. The only
way to get out of it is hitting the Reset button.

This happens every few days (I run the system 24/7) with only these
apps running: 2 tabbed shells, file manager, and Firefox 3. I'm
thinking that Firefox is the problem. Years ago, I had similar
behavior with it, in addition to it just totally crashing, but this
hasn't happen for a long time.

I've taken to quitting Firefox when I go to bed, but leave it running
during the day. So far, the problem has only been occurring when
Firefox is running.

After rebooting, logs don't show anything out of the ordinary. The
swap is empty.

Anyone got ideas?

Stef

Run gnome-system-monitor as well so that you can see what's using up
your memory.

Currently, I'm running htop, but having another monitor running on
another workspace might help: When the system freezes, I can't switch
workspaces or anything; the keyboard is unresponsive. Wish I could find
a system monitor that writes a log to disk.

FWIW, the "failure" has never occurred while I was actually using the
system. It has happened a couple times when left running overnight, and
a couple of times when I walked away to do something else.

Stef

  • Re: Possible Memory Leak with Fedora 9 64-bit?
    ... 2 tabbed shells, file manager, and Firefox 3. ... Currently, I'm running htop, but having another monitor running on ... another workspace might help: When the system freezes, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Firefox / Compiz problem to mull over with someone.
    ... I can't get Compiz at startup to place Firefox on viewport (workspace) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Getting Firefox to behave like Galeon
    ... After having some problems with galeon in dapper, ... the firefox idiosyncrasies, but there is one that I must resolve. ... application that has a place in every workspace is my browser. ... if there is a browser window open on this workspace: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: VS2008: IE Cannot Display Web Page
    ... You are using Vista, Visual Studio 2008, IIS7 ... Any ASP.NET pages are not accessible, both from IE7 and Firefox ... You may also need to check event logs to see if there's any related events. ... Open IIS Manager ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: 2.6.25-rc2-mm1 - several bugs and a crash
    ... a bit sluggish), call up a web page from the Internet in Firefox, ... and start perusing the logs, when the whole system froze: ...
    (Linux-Kernel)