Re: Possible Memory Leak with Fedora 9 64-bit?

Stefan Patric wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:01:55 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:48:58 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:

Anyone experiencing what appears to be a memory leak with Fedora 9 64-
bit? System is unusable--keyboard unresponsive and cursor barely so,
all apps frozen. There is continuous hard drive activity. The only
way to get out of it is hitting the Reset button.

This happens every few days (I run the system 24/7) with only these
apps running: 2 tabbed shells, file manager, and Firefox 3. I'm
thinking that Firefox is the problem. Years ago, I had similar
behavior with it, in addition to it just totally crashing, but this
hasn't happen for a long time.

I've taken to quitting Firefox when I go to bed, but leave it running
during the day. So far, the problem has only been occurring when
Firefox is running.

After rebooting, logs don't show anything out of the ordinary. The
swap is empty.

Anyone got ideas?

Stef
Run gnome-system-monitor as well so that you can see what's using up
your memory.

Currently, I'm running htop, but having another monitor running on
another workspace might help: When the system freezes, I can't switch
workspaces or anything; the keyboard is unresponsive. Wish I could find
a system monitor that writes a log to disk.

As I said in an earlier post, you could run vmstat that will show you paging
rates, memory usage, cpu usage, etc.

You could also run free under cron control on a regular basis, but if you
are running vmstat, it may be enough.

FWIW, the "failure" has never occurred while I was actually using the
system. It has happened a couple times when left running overnight, and
a couple of times when I walked away to do something else.

Stef

^^-^^ 21:40:01 up 7:00, 3 users, load average: 4.08, 4.34, 4.30

  • Firefox / Compiz problem to mull over with someone.
    ... I can't get Compiz at startup to place Firefox on viewport (workspace) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Firefox (Pale Moon) project?
    ... collection and it starts growing in memory usage even if you haven't ... It is Firefox, minus some bloat (e.g. ... Since you mentioned faster load speeds, I use the UPX packer on Firefox, Pale Moon, Thunderbird, Photoshop 6 and 7, and other programs, and it speeds up load times, sometimes significantly. ... There are free "shell" programs that provide a gui for UPX, I think you select a folder and the compression level, then click a button to pack all of the exe and dll files in the folder you selected automatically. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Firefox 0.92 DoS via TinyBMP
    ... The first time I opened the page memory usage could be seen on Task ... Are you certain this is a vuln in Firefox? ... I get almost identical results opening the same page in IE ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Internet Explorer Crash
    ... IE7 actually handles the loop better than Firefox. ... First, I had to actively tell IE, "Yes, I want to run the script." ... shot up about 200 MiB. ... into heavy virtual memory usage. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Firefox (Pale Moon) project?
    ... Yousuf Khan wrote: ... Well, my main concern is memory usage, Firefox has got terrible garbage ... It is Firefox, minus some bloat (e.g. ... Well, if it loads much faster on startup, which I think it does, that's ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)