Re: damaged ext3 or partition table

Tom Forsmo wrote:
Hi

By accident I turned off the power of my machine and for some reason it did not do a shut down, it just turned of immediately. It has a 400GB media disk with an ext3 partition (on top of a lvm device) full of data. When I booted it up, I got an error message saying:

"attempt to read block from file system resulted in short read
while checking ext3 journal"

I looked it up on the net and found information saying that the partition table had been corrupted and that it does not match my fstab anymore. When I do a fdisk on the lvm device and print the partition table its completely empty. I dont remember the partition setup anymore, so I dont want to just create a new partition. In ms-dos there used to be a backup partition table some where on the disk, which could be retrieved and inserted into the main partition table if it got corrupted. Is there such a backup partition table on a disk created by linux fdisk? and how do I retrieve the copy? If not does anybody have any other suggestion as to how to fix the problem?

regards

tom

Try this. I have never done it.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/recovering.html

^^-^^ 17:20:01 up 30 days, 23:26, 4 users, load average: 4.12, 4.23, 4.26

  • Re: [Ilugc] Re: Recover data from formatted ext3 partition
    ... partition is suppose to be clean. ... possible to retrieve some of it, but it's a very long and complicated ... If you can save the disk, and are willing to learn how to use data ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: I did the unthinkable !
    ... ]erased disks and retrieve the information somehow. ... However just fdisking it changes the partition table, ... that disk as well as just fdisking it, they you are in deeper trouble. ... after that institute a backup program. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: damaged ext3 or partition table
    ... media disk with an ext3 partition full of data. ... Is there such a backup partition table on a disk created by ... and how do I retrieve the copy? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • damaged ext3 or partition table
    ... I looked it up on the net and found information saying that the partition table had been corrupted and that it does not match my fstab anymore. ... In ms-dos there used to be a backup partition table some where on the disk, which could be retrieved and inserted into the main partition table if it got corrupted. ... and how do I retrieve the copy? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux community software-update-anarchy polemic
    ... Remember, I'm just a monkey. ... That implies that if you have one disk per partition, ... Trust the kernel or don't trust the kernel, but either way, both ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)