Re: Partition Size for Ubuntu install?

On Sep 12, 4:48 pm, JamesG <jgra...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was planning on installing Ubuntu 64-bit 8.04.1 on a Home Computer
with 4 GB of RAM soon and wanted to know the opinions on partition
sizes for this install.  I plan on partitioning a 100GB hard drive to
dual boot with Windows XP.  There is currently 68GB free on this
drive.  I was thinking about using 30 GB for the Ubuntu partition.
I have been reading about using a swap partition or swap file and some
sites say to use 2 times the amount of RAM.  This seems outdated to me
for a computer with 4 GB of RAM; I would hope that I hardly ever used
any swap space with this much RAM.  I also was wondering if I really
needed to specify a swap partition at all or if I could just set up a
swap file? (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq)  Since this
is a Home Computer I would think that maybe a swap file of 4GB would
be okay for hibernation purposes?

Thank you for any advice,
James

Thank you for your replies.
So I did the installation and let Ubuntu pick a default swap partition
size (around 1.5 GB); I doubt that this much will ever be used.
One lesson that I learned during the install was to always use good
CDs when creating the installation discs from the iso image. I had
used an old CD that I had found and during the first installation it
failed (it had been working fine as a LiveCD). So I created another
installation using a newer CD and slower burn rate and it worked fine;
I chose the Manual Partition selection at that point and chose to
reformat and install using the ext3 and linux swap partition that had
been created in the previous failed installation.

Thank you,
James

  • Re: Best partitioning?
    ... >> I would like to partition in such a way that it is easy to upgrade FC as ... The size of your swap partition should be equal to twice ... your computer's RAM, or 32MB, whichever amount is larger. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Mimimum Memory for Suse 9.2
    ... laptop which is a 133Mhz Pentium with 64MB of RAM, ... my preferred distribution, but others should work okay), created a swap partition ... the graphic installation could not be started and that YAST would ... Because of the limited drive space (left over after creating a 384 MB swap ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Installation problem, partitionar stuck at 52% .....(Using IDE HDD)
    ... RAM: 64 MB SDRAM ... I finally got ubuntu 5.10 installed on my system. ... When it asks me to start partition manager i just skip this ... skipping the partition step and starting the base system installation. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to Change Size of SWAP Partition at Installation (Solaris 9, Ultra 10)
    ... swap partition of at least 512 MB when I INSTALL the OS. ... installation program creates a partition of 531 MB. ... disk I've got room. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: [opensuse] 13.1 partition scheme
    ... I have never let an installer decide how my storage should be partitioned. ... Each use the same separate /home partition except when trouble shooting issues related ... I have several systems with a far smaller swap partition than installed RAM size. ... Every linux installation disk that I've ever used, dating from like Caldera 2.0 back in about 1997 that came on floppy disks allocates a swap partition, so that's what I do. ...
    (SuSE)