Re: using virtual consoles

Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008-10-06, John Hasler <john@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are 63 virtual consoles. Most Linux distributions configure inittab
to run getty on the first six but you can change that. My wife uses 11.

6 VTs ought to be enough for anybody. ;-)

If you DO need more, there's always screen.

--
| spike1@xxxxxxxxxx,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
| Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  • Re: using virtual consoles
    ... Most Linux distributions configure inittab ... to run getty on the first six but you can change that. ... My wife uses 11. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: using virtual consoles
    ... Most Linux distributions configure inittab ... to run getty on the first six but you can change that. ... My wife uses 11. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: using virtual consoles
    ... Most Linux distributions configure ... to run getty on the first six but you can change that. ... Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT
    ... alone or X won't run. ... Also if inittab did get edited, could be you're calling a getty ... I checked and noticed the default runlevel under inittab is 5. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: systemd (was ... Re: Article on swift, responsive computers)