Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

Below, the "at" symbol (Shift-2) has been changed to "(at)" so that googlegroups
won't render those parts of the post unreadable.

Mark Roberts <markrobt+usenet(at)gmail.com> wrote:
From: Mark Roberts <markrobt+usenet(at)gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)
Date: 12 Oct 2008 00:33:08 GMT

Stefan Patric <not(at)thisaddress.com> had written:

| Since you did "turn off" your machine, I had to ask. If your system had
| booted normally instead of hanging, it would have probably done a fsck
| anyway. But it never hurts to be thorough.

As it turns out, the system, when booted with the 2.6.26.5-45
kernel, continues to be flaky. Sometimes it can boot up and then
just freezes in the middle of something; other times, it doesn't
even complete the boot sequence.

I have now run fsck on all disks. They consistently come up clean
other than a "Superblock last mount time is in the future" message.
I've done mkswap on the swap partition.

| > If there were dependencies, rpm -e wouldn't have let me uninstall the
| > kernel, right? (At least not without --force, which I didn't use.)
| > Normally, I do use yum. But there are a few instances for which it is
| > still good to know and use rpm.
|
| That's not my understanding of how rpm works: you rpm -e some package
| and it removes everything that was in the original installed package.

As it turns out on that point, you were correct and I was wrong. (I
did a little experimenting on a package that I don't care about.)
So it's possible that I nailed something in the kernel, though I'd
be surprised given that the kernel always installs as a new
install. Trying it again with
'yum erase kernel-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686' finds no dependencies. But
I have removed it and re-installed it on the outside chance
that it will make a difference.

Interesting warning message with those steps:
"resolveDevice: device spec expected". It did not prevent the
installation from completing.

The one new clue that I have is in /var/log/pm-suspend.log -- where
the original suspend operation is shown as "Save video state
failed". That may be the root cause of the problem, but I think it's
gone way beyond that point now considering all the other flakiness that
I'm seeing when using this kernel.

--
Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.

This one too, is for the record.

  • Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)
    ... |> still good to know and use rpm. ... | and it removes everything that was in the original installed package. ... So it's possible that I nailed something in the kernel, ... be surprised given that the kernel always installs as a new ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • openmosix problem on fedora core 2
    ... specific) on a fedora core 2 machine that has the 2.6.5 kernel. ... The rpm installed fine as far as I can tell, ... As far as I understand the openmosix rpm installs a complete patched ...
    (Fedora)
  • Openmosix on Fedora 2 problem
    ... specific) on a fedora core 2 machine that has the 2.6.5 kernel. ... The rpm installed fine as far as I can tell, ... As far as I understand the openmosix rpm installs a complete patched ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: removing old kernels
    ... den 18.11.2004 schrieb Mark Bradford um 23:08: ... > with rpm -e... ... self installs from sources, ... Run "uname -r" to see which kernel is actually running. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Disable built-in WiFi card so that USB WiFi device gets used.
    ... Kernel driver in use: rtl8192ce ... rpm: linux-firmware ... suspend of devices complete after 1672.538 msecs ... Preparing to enter system sleep state S3 ...
    (Fedora)