Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

On 2008-10-12, notbob <notbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does this distro work with anything? How the Hell can a distro be so
popular if only works with a limited set of hardware? WTF is THAT hardware?

I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu, but not for the lack of hardware support.
In terms of modern hardware, it's pretty hard to support Ubuntu out of
the box.

I'm a slackware user. Works on every box I've installed it on, from ancient
PIIs to >2MHz cpu platforms (non-dual). Not so, ubuntu. Tried several
versions from 7.x to latest 8.10. Has yet to boot to a functioning OS on
anthing I own.

Well, there are clearly hundreds of thousands (or millions) of
machines running Ubuntu. If you're looking for help troubleshooting
the install problem, specifics would help (as would an Ubuntu-specific
group). If you just want to bitch, I'm sure you'll find others who
dislike it too.

nb ...disgusted

Why so upset? If Slackware is the bee's knees on your hardware, then
don't switch. I prefer Debian to either, although my wife's laptop
runs Xubuntu. Choice is great, and we have many distros to thank for
that, including Ubuntu.

P.S. If you don't own "nothome.com" it's pretty inconsiderate to be
using it in your Usenet headers. The .invalid moniker exists for a
reason.

--
email: echo "sbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx" | sed 's/s/o/g' | rot13
All posts from Google Groups are auto-killed.

  • Re: Ubuntu on a 486?
    ... No self-made distro before yesterday would have solved this bug, ... It's a fixed upstream bug as of yesterday, ... I understand you can do a lot of stuff on "old" hardware. ... is it fair to ask Ubuntu to support me on "ancient" HW? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Klarstellungen
    ... oder Debian, Treiber fehlte ja. ... Aber: Ubuntu installiert, gestartet... ... Hardware, für die es keine offenen Treiber gibt. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Ubuntu 9.04
    ... The experience can vary substantially with Ubuntu, depending on the hardware ... I have had flakey wireless in Ubuntu depending on the kernel version, ... mentioned, if you search the kernel bug reports, and perhaps the Ubuntu bug ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu ... just one!
    ... but something still wanted a Kubuntu startup. ... lost inside Ubuntu, but when I pass GRUB there's only chaos. ... installation disk and try again, or wait six months for the next ... Hardware: printer, scanner, webcam. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Vista is the BEST OS
    ... it's predecessor on comparable hardware. ... With Windows, they gotta account for the bloat. ... With Ubuntu, I am running the latest version of Ubuntu on an AMD AthlonXP 2200+ with ... That's why people want sound cards. ...