creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

I want to install openSUSE 11 from a bootable fash drive and I can't seem
to find any documentation on how to do this. I'd like to use the openSuSE
11 DVD for the x86 32 bit platform which I have downloaded.

Does anyone know how I can turn the flash drive into a bootable install
disk?

I've hit a few mailing lists on this but I'm getting nowhere. I feel like
I'm banging my head agains the wall

Here are some previous discussions
-------------

clayton wrote:
Does anyone know how I can turn the flash drive into a bootable install
disk?

Hi Ruben,

There is some documentation on the wiki[0] but I've never used it myself.

[0] http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

I've used these instructions, and they are well written and work
great. I install openSUSE exclusively from a USB drive on my
computers now.

I'm using a cruzer micro 8g disk and its not working. When I try to boot it, it says can't boot hdd or something of that affect.

Hello

Sorry is this is reaching the wrong person but I'm trying to debug why I can't make a bootable install
flash drive for opensuse 11 and while looking over the code I don't understand the purpose of following
code

system "cp $opt_syslinux $src/ldlinux.sys" and die "error: no syslinux?\n";
system "ls $src|grep ld";

$boot_disks = 2;

unlink "$src/ldlinux.sys";
system "ls $src|grep ld";

Why copy the ldlinux.sys file and then immediately delete it?

When I tried to do this straight from the instructions on:

http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

and try to boot from the install flash disk (which is an 8g scandisk cruzer micro)
it doesn't boot and just says EBIOS HDD

Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
Hi,

flash drive for opensuse 11 and while looking over the code I don't understand
the purpose of following
code

system "cp $opt_syslinux $src/ldlinux.sys" and die "error: no syslinux?\n";
system "ls $src|grep ld";

$boot_disks = 2;

unlink "$src/ldlinux.sys";
system "ls $src|grep ld";

Why copy the ldlinux.sys file and then immediately delete it?

well, the original code in boot/i386/mkbootdisk (on openSUSE media) of which
your script is apparently derived looks like:

Thanks. This script, minus the print STDERR I addded actually comes from this website:
http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

system "cp $opt_syslinux $src/ldlinux.sys" and die "error: no syslinux?\n";

$boot_disks = get_disk_number $src;
$boot_disks = 2 if $boot_disks < 2;

unlink "$src/ldlinux.sys";

and here the copying is done to calculate the number of required (floppy)
boot disks.

and try to boot from the install flash disk (which is an 8g scandisk cruzer
micro)
it doesn't boot and just says EBIOS HDD

An easy check would be to try it with qemu:

qemu -hda /dev/<usb_disk>

to get an idea whether the disk is wrong or your bios.

Steffen

on the system we are trying to boot on? My syslinux is from SuSE 93, if that matters.

An easy check would be to try it with qemu:

qemu -hda /dev/<usb_disk>

to get an idea whether the disk is wrong or your bios.

on the system we are trying to boot on? My syslinux is from SuSE 93, if that
matters.

On any; doesn't matter.

Steffen

OK - I downloaded it from the 9.3 repository and it just says the same thing

HDD EBOIS
Boot Failed

How do I debug this?

Hello

I'm really having trouble getting a flash disk of the opensuse 11 dvd to become bootable
and your name popped up in syslinux as the copyright holder of what appears to be vers 2.11

SuSE has a mksuseboot script on this page which I've tried, among many things I've tried and debugged
at
http://opensource.contentbakery.fi/suse/mksusebootdisk

Nothing is working and I can't even find basic documentation like

how does the system find ldlinux.sys?

where does it look? where do i put the config files? How do I read the master boot record?

If you can be of any assistance, I'd appreciate it.

At this point, I've confused how booting actually happens, something I
thought I used to know. Somehow the MBR has to tell the computers where
the program that bootstraps the system sits on the disk.

Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... The Bios is not showing any hard drives. ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... indicated that all drives had no disk inserted. ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: boot sector f*ed
    ... "I updated the machine and it doesn't boot anymore". ... Please capture the output from running fdisk and bsdlabel on the problem disk ... Soft updates is a technique employed by the filesystem to ensure that the file ... application to install the 64bit FBSD with flashplugin on the portable ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)