desktop resize, help

Hello all,

I feel really dumb for asking this:

How do I resize my desktop area in order for my entire desktop to fit
on my 16:9 LCD monitor?
What I mean is how to I make my desktop not have unseen areas above
and below the LCD that can only be seen by moving the mouse. It is
very bothersome to me. I am used to windows where the entire desktop
is resized to fit the entire screen size.

None of the different available resolutions I can choose from are 16:9
ratios. When I tried 1600:1200 (I think it was that, I know it was
16XX:XXXX), my screen went all screwy and I needed to plug my old CRT
monitor to see a clear image and consequently be able to reset my
screen resolution. Obviously my LCD monitor could not handle the new
appointed resolution. The resolution that I am currently using is
1680x1050.

Post-scriptum:
I downloaded the linux driver for my ATI RADEON 9500 PRO video card,
thinking it should resolve the issue. It installed sucessfully but
when I tried running the ATI catalyst software, the computer
complained about a library (I think it was something like GLIBC
2.?. ). Anyway, I de-installed the new driver after some head-
scratching. I came to the conclusion that there must be something I am
not doing right because, after all, 16:9 monitors have been common for
several years now and as a consequence RHEL 5.1 should be equipped for
an 16:9 screen.

distro: RHEL 5.1 (client)

Any help will be appreciated
-Roger

  • Re: desktop resize, help
    ... How do I resize my desktop area in order for my entire desktop to fit ... Obviously my LCD monitor could not handle the new ... appointed resolution. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Why...
    ... other pixel before the pseudo solid character and it just makes 'em blurry ... old CRT until I tried the LCD. ... It usually happens if your resolution setting is different from the ... native resolution of the LCD monitor. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: changing display settings
    ... Select Use Large Icons. ... LCD monitors are designed to appear best at one resolution; i.e., they have a "native resolution" where interpolation is not used. ... You didn't mention the monitor's brand and model so you'll have to go read the manual or check the online specs to see what is the native resolution for whatever LCD monitor you now have. ... This dictates how many dots are used to display the same character within the same resolution; i.e., the number of dots for a character changes which changes its size, and doesn't change the resolution. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problem with text displaying
    ... What LCD monitor do you have? ... At what is Windows configured for its resolution and color depth? ... as in normal mode" so you must be using some abnormal mode where the ... of video information across pixels. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: LCD TV Resolution Question(s)
    ... The fuzzy picture when you read the wrong resolution into a computer ... LCD monitor is a result of the LCD not implementing a good rescaling ... Most computer video chipsets these days include a high-quality video ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)