Re: Quick Books on Linux?

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 01:31:32 +0000, ToddAndMargo wrote:

Hi All,

I have a customer who asked me to put
together a Citrix/Windows server to run Quick Books.

Before I dive into that one, I thought
I would ask if anyone figured a way to run Quick Books 2009 on a Linux
server. (I know it won't run under Wine.)

Many thanks,
-T

I run it under VMware Server in a Win2K VM. The Quickbooks database is in
a Linux directory that's exported under SAMBA and network mounted in the
Win2K VM, I do my backups by checking it in to a CVS server which I
backup regularly using rsync. The performance under VMware Server 2 is
essentially the same as native, in fact it's probably better because you
don't need any anti-virus software in the Win2K VM as long as you
restrict it's use to Quickbooks and it's cousins (I also run Quicken and
TaxCut on the VM). Another advantage is that you can run the VMware
console with the Windows desktop on a client machine with excellent
performance. In fact you can run that desktop on multiple clients
simultaneously which is something that you can't do with Windows remote
desktop which is limited to one client at a time.
.