T2: login fails before I can enter a password

I have installed T2 on my hard drive. At the login prompt, I type a
username "root" and the login immediately fails without asking for a
password.

Using a rescue disk, I examined /etc/passwd and it contains:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
foo:x:763:763:root:/root:/bin/bash

and /etc/shadow contains:

root::13870:0:99999:7:::
foo::13870:0:99999:7:::

Why can't I login?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  • Re: Locked out of machine - please help
    ... normal KDE screen using the new username and password. ... Just 'authentication failure' errors where I have tried to login. ... root user, though - or is 'root' in recovery mode a different entity ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Mandrake Linux Login Problem!!!
    ... I created a user student apart from root. ... When I wish to login, it presents me with only one username i.e. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: cant run gnome as root - addition - SOLVED
    ... Security needs change. ... they only have to guess at passwords rather than guessing at a username and ... I used to enable the root account ... The trick is to disable root login & only login as a user (I'm talking ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Problem handling Login control Authenticate event
    ... login process. ... required for login… they have a username, password, and another “location ... and when the extra input field is submitted ... for the users where this concatenation of the two input field ...
  • RE: unable to login as user
    ... unable to login as user ... Log in as root and look closely at the user account. ... the system just seems to hang and then go back to the username ...
    (RedHat)