T2: login fails before I can enter a password

I have installed T2 on my hard drive. At the login prompt, I type a
username "root" and the login immediately fails without asking for a
password.

Using a rescue disk, I examined /etc/passwd and it contains:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
foo:x:763:763:root:/root:/bin/bash

and /etc/shadow contains:

root::13870:0:99999:7:::
foo::13870:0:99999:7:::

Why can't I login?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  • Re: Locked out of machine - please help
    ... normal KDE screen using the new username and password. ... Just 'authentication failure' errors where I have tried to login. ... root user, though - or is 'root' in recovery mode a different entity ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Mandrake Linux Login Problem!!!
    ... I created a user student apart from root. ... When I wish to login, it presents me with only one username i.e. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: cant run gnome as root - addition - SOLVED
    ... Security needs change. ... they only have to guess at passwords rather than guessing at a username and ... I used to enable the root account ... The trick is to disable root login & only login as a user (I'm talking ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Problem handling Login control Authenticate event
    ... login process. ... required for login… they have a username, password, and another “location ... and when the extra input field is submitted ... for the users where this concatenation of the two input field ...
  • Re: failed password tries...!!
    ... but log only the username if the ... password/username pair is reversed but otherwise valid; and if a login ... The encryption code must be on the auth ... without first compromising your private key somehow. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)