Re: Publicly accessible directory?

Joyce of Pendle wrote:

Tim Greer wrote:
Joyce of Pendle wrote:

But when I save a file as one user, it is locked against the
other, even in the opened directory. Can I save as a group, or
must I change the permissions of each file when I save it?

What are your umask settings for file creation?

umask is set in /etc/login.defs to 022 - I think I want to change
that (for now, at least) to 000.

Just set it for group read/write/execute (whatever is appropriate). You
probably don't want to have it actually be 000 (that's a bit too open
and shouldn't be necessary).

Check your local profile/bashrc files to edit the setting.

Also, while you can share the same group, it will still create
the file as your default group, so you'll need to use
chgrp shredgrpname /path/to/file
(with the appropriate permissions so both can read, write and/or
execute).

I have set each of us (and root) to be members of the other group,
so I think I can postpone trying this until I have spent a few
months reading documentation (in my copious spare time).

For now, I can set directories in home/ to have read-write access
from everyone after each session, with included files. In fact, I
should be able to set each home directory that way?

You're setting world access to home directories? Can you trust all of
the users on the system, including any remote access (if you allow
that)?

  • Re: write with cURL
    ... PHP, if they don't allow PHP to open and write to files. ... Check the permissions on the directory the file is to ... their server configuration is, too, though. ... Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers ...
    (alt.php)
  • Re: Crontab conundrum
    ... Harold Weissman wrote: ... What are the permissions for /usr/bin/crontab? ... Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Publicly accessible directory?
    ... even in the opened directory. ... appropriate permissions so both can read, ... Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Access Control Best Practices for shared hosting seem at odds with Web Site Starters
    ... Ensure strong permissions are used on Web content ... Use separate anonymous (IUSR) accounts for each Web site ... The document also describes Isolated Shared Web Hosting where each customer ... We are looking at the web site starter kits -- DotNetNuke and the Community ...
  • [Full-disclosure] Interspire shopping cart: incorrect permissions (stupid and trivial)
    ... What is Interspire Shopping Cart? ... This software uses the permissions for config/config.php to determine ... also be readable by the web server user. ... all shared hosting configurations, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)