Mozilla strange behaviour during autodetection of character encodings

I have just discovered something odd. I have a web page that is hosted locally
and duplicated externally. When I pointed the browser at the local page, it
contained funny symbols. However, the page hosted externally displayed
differently. After a bit of investigation, I discovered the following: