Re: dual boot Win XP on a USB-connected hard-drive

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:06:22 +0000, Bob Tennent wrote:

On 26 Apr 2009 12:19:52 GMT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:23:57 +0000, Bob Tennent wrote:
>
>> I need to use Windows to access an iPod Touch. I have Windows XP on
>> a hard-drive in an external USB-connectable enclosure (and Fedora 10
>> on the internal hard-drive). I want to be able to boot to the
>> external hard-drive (when it's connected of course). Can grub be
>> configured to do this? I find the grub documentation rather
>> impenetrable.
>
> Install VMware Server 2.01 on your system and then install an XP VM
> on that. VMware Server handles USB devices very well. Dual boots are
> a last century solution, VMs are a much better way to go.

That's what I thought too, so I installed Win XP on a kvm/qemu host and
then discovered that qemu doesn't support USB-2 passthrough. Groan. But
USB-2 support is apparently being worked on so the dual-boot scenario
would be a temporary stop-gap. But thanks for suggesting VMware.

Bob T.

P.S. Can anyone tell me whether Apple will allow me to export my music
(and, crucially, my playlists) from my iPod to *another* iTunes? It took
me hours to set up playlists for all of my albums because Apple thinks
they know better than I how I want my music organized.

KVM isn't there yet. It has great performance if you don't do any virtual
IO, in fact it's better than VMWare, but it's virtual IO performance
sucks. I haven't benchmarked it lately but phoronix has and their
results are consistent with what I saw last year when I did my last eval,

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_corei7_virt&num=1

I plan to play with KVM again when F11 comes out but I suspect that I'll
be sticking with VMware for another year or so. VMware is a mature
product that has well balanced performance. The free version lacks
support for virtual disks (you have to use NFS or SAMBA mounts) but the
NFS and SAMBA performance is very good, head and shoulders above KVM. It
also has very good support for USB devices, I haven't tried that on any
other virtualizer. The only downside of VMware is that you have to run
the config script every time you upgrade a kernel. The new browser config
interface has lousy performance, much worse than the interface that they
had in VMware 1, but you can live with that because you hardly ever need
to use it.
.