Re: The tar trick !!!

On 2009-06-06, annalissa wrote:
Grant Edwards wrote:

But I don't really see why "cp -a" won't work. It handles
links, device files, permissions, etc.

BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..???

Neither; the POSIX command is pax.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, author | <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  • Re: The tar trick !!!
    ... links, device files, permissions, etc. ... BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: The tar trick !!!
    ... links, device files, permissions, etc. ... BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: The tar trick !!!
    ... links, device files, permissions, etc. ... BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Permissions of /dev/full, /dev/random, /dev/urandom, /dev/vsys
    ... > Will it be harmfull if the permissions of the following device files ... prohibit users from reading random and urandom? ... so changing its permissions won't do anything useful. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to secure an Access database.
    ... > BTW, if this isn't the right newsgroup, ┐could you indicate which is? ... of the User with the permissions of the Role. ... the inter-thread communication might be a bit of an overshoot here. ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.database.ado)