Re: The tar trick !!!

On 2009-06-06, annalissa wrote:
Grant Edwards wrote:

But I don't really see why "cp -a" won't work. It handles
links, device files, permissions, etc.

BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..???

Neither; the POSIX command is pax.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, author | <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  • Re: The tar trick !!!
    ... links, device files, permissions, etc. ... BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: The tar trick !!!
    ... links, device files, permissions, etc. ... BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: The tar trick !!!
    ... links, device files, permissions, etc. ... BTW which is more preferred cp -a or tar ..??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Permissions of /dev/full, /dev/random, /dev/urandom, /dev/vsys
    ... > Will it be harmfull if the permissions of the following device files ... prohibit users from reading random and urandom? ... so changing its permissions won't do anything useful. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: strange folders
    ... BTW I'm assuming that the reaosn for the error is just permissions ... If that .dll is actually hooked in and in use you would have to diagnose that ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)