Re: backup commands that handle renaming smarter than rsync? Avoiding data-de-duplication.

On 17 June, 21:44, Rahul <nos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
James Harris <james.harri...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:ee1de266-d879-
4981-bb21-a9ca0d39b...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

You only mentioned one directory that needed to be changed. Sounds
like your problem may be more involved, though. It's possibly
scriptable but we'd need fuller info to suggest anything else.

Sorry, I meant one dir changed as an example. More generally: a backup
system that figures out "moves or renames of a dir branch". These need not
be replicated on the mirror taking up needless storage. Maybe this is
clearer?

I think I follow. I have thought of writing a script to do something
similar but haven't done any more than think about it. It seems other
have had similar ideas. Here are some links that might or might not be
helpful.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-November/013948.html
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20071107.221234.6182738a.en.html
http://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync

In the last link maybe the --fuzzy and --delete-after or --delete-
during may help.

If these don't help I have no other options to offer so here's hoping.

James

  • Re: [WR] round tuits
    ... Jackson Pillock wrote: ... I do, too many projects going, not enough time, priorities lean toward ... I started writing a precinct drama set in a locked psychiatric ward. ... Sent off my script. ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Email Filter Script
    ... It seems that the E-mails are piped to the script so I shouldn't need ... After the sample e-mail, I've included my original test script. ... Subject: Writing Center, Fall 2010 ... student population. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: crisis Perl
    ... As to writing good code to begin with, ... the top of the script. ... the "use warnings;" line won't actually change ... recommended declaring variables IN AS SMALL AS SCOPE AS POSSIBLE. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Marginally archaeaology: Eight scripts that still cant be read
    ... WRITING is one of the greatest inventions in human history. ... literate civilisation at the time of the ... So how do you decipher an unknown script? ... there must be some link to a known language. ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: Vinca script, cross bar angle - Ki Ri Ke
    ... of the Goddess, since the English title of the second book ... sacred script in The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe, ... not exactly a scholarly publisher. ... writing scholars call "ideograms," and hence not as writing. ...
    (sci.lang)