Re: Puzzled about KDE or GNOME or what?

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts <jn.nntp.scrap004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

Evergreen <sidneylambe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
<jn.nntp.scrap004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Interesting; I've an IBM mainframe systems programming
background so command-lines etc do not particularly worry me.

Are you talking UNIX operating systems?

No; VM/CMS about 30 years ago, and MVS->S/390 more recently.

I did use VMS (?) on a VAX around 30 years ago...

In fact I tend to loathe GUIs that hide what's really going on,
interpreting error messages for me, hiding all the stuff in
config files etc.

OTOH I have a feeling that getting started in Linux might be
easier with some sort of GUI, and I can explore config files
etc when I feel like it.

You are confusing me with your use of "GUI". I run a GUI, but
I do _not_ run a GDE (Graphical Desktop Environment) like kde
or gnome. They are very different things indeed.

A GUI is just a simple window manager that's available for X apps
to run in. You can run it from a plain term or from an x-term
within the window manager. A GDE is a massive suite of graphical
applications, libs, and utilities attempting to be a complete
user-interface.

Hmm, I understand the difference between 'window manager' and 'desktop
environment', I think.

But to most users I'd have thought a GUI was simply any graphical
representation of a task, whether it was very basic or not.

Maybe the way you use the term is linux-specific?

No, whoever you are replying to mis-defined GUI.
A GUI is any "drawn" application, even on Linux.

GDEs go beyond Window Managers in that they provide a bunch of
applications.

Most of those applications will run in any Window Manager
unless they take specific advantage of non-standardized things
(like the systray).

  • Re: Puzzled about KDE or GNOME or what?
    ... Linux anywhere, regardless of the distro. ... You need a GUI, you do not need a GDE. ... A GUI is just a simple window manager that's available for X apps ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: A Suggestion For Higher-Quality Open-Source Software
    ... the particular window manager, and as long as window managers are ... On Fedora Core 4/5 using gnome, what is the standard file-open dialog ... What's a "GUI toolkit"? ... QT based applications. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Cron question
    ... >> Window manager not loaded ... >> Boris Savc ... You said it was not a GUI program, ... Thanks for all your trouble so far, ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Revert to simple Window Manager
    ... I would like to use just a window manager instead ... of a full GUI. ... starts icewm and Xfce on my Athlon. ... That last point is important, IMHO, but if you aren't using aptitude ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Puzzled about KDE or GNOME or what?
    ... OTOH I have a feeling that getting started in Linux might be ... You are confusing me with your use of "GUI". ... I do _not_ run a GDE like kde ... A GUI is just a simple window manager that's available for X apps ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)