Re: question about Linux boxes only running as root

The Doctor wrote:
Right I got a customer who is only running one account, namely root
and 1 app. I suspect this person is opening himself to trouble.

yes/no?
well its a risk yu dont need to take.

Youy can configure IIRC a no password user login, and put that user in the root group so privileges needed for admin are granted automatically, and still run as an unprivileged user..

  • Re: question about Linux boxes only running as root
    ... I suspect this person is opening himself to trouble. ... well its a risk yu dont need to take. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Sideline Help (addressing UPA priorities)
    ... The UPA takes player safety concerns very seriously, ... ok......so what have you dont to show "the upa takes membership ... dont you guys have over a year to review risk ...
    (rec.sport.disc)
  • Re: who gets my/your vote
    ... Since sports center originated i dont even read ... why....you dont think its a valid saftey (risk management) concern ...
    (rec.sport.disc)
  • Re: Health and Safety Advisor
    ... I dont know of any evidence that the lack of paper work (RAs etc) will ... something with higher risk element when a safer alternative exists. ... industry 'experts' trying to apply the Industrial RA culture to ...
    (uk.rec.scouting)
  • Re: Why is VARCHAR2(4000) bad ?
    ... Since we dont know in advance the size we will really need in the ... Aren't VARCHAR2 supposed to have a first byte to tell the string ... not have the options of variable length strings. ... This will minimize risk. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)