Re: any path from Applix Words to OpenOffice?

Robert Riches <spamtrap42@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert Riches wrote:
On 2009-11-24, Stan Bischof <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert Riches <spamtrap42@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there any reasonable path to take an Applix Words document and
convert it so it can be imported into OpenOffice? I tried
several methods, but they all badly mangled the formatting and/or
failed to transfer the content.

Maybe if you listed all the formats that Applix can
output, someone here might see a possible path?

[...]

MS Word 95/97/2000, 6.0 through RTF

The "through RTF" means Applix creates a .rtf file, and the
Micro$oft program is supposed to read the .rtf file. I already
tried creating the RTF from Applix and reading that into
OpenOffice. The formatting is tremendously mangled. It would be
easier to rework the formatting from plain text than from the
RTF.

It's possible that the formatting is being lost by OpenOffice during
import and that MS-Word would load the file correctly.

  • Re: RTF Mail Merge Fields
    ... The thing is that setting selBullet to true is something you would set in the Richtext editor control's properties - selBullet isn't something in the RTF spec. ... whether in fact by using Alt-7 you are inserting a bullet character ... These will all merge fine from the data source. ... In other words, using MERGEFIELD fields loses the most formatting, using REF fields with a Word format data source loses less formatting, using INCLUDETEXTed RTF files generated on the fly /may/ lose less than that, which may clash in various ways). ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)
  • Re: RTF Mail Merge Fields
    ... is there a way to ensure that Word honours the formatting that you applied? ... As far as is concerned, if you are using the Richtext control in VB6 to generate the RTF in the data source, then ... do underlines and we also need to do bullets: ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)
  • Re: RTF Mail Merge Fields
    ... These will all merge fine from the data source. ... What I'm doing now to get around this is when a bulleted list is setup on the merge source I am inserting ALT 7 instead setting selBullet to true per the rtf spec. ... In other words, using MERGEFIELD fields loses the most formatting, using REF fields with a Word format data source loses less formatting, using INCLUDETEXTed RTF files generated on the fly /may/ lose less than that, which may clash in various ways). ... do underlines and we also need to do bullets: ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)
  • Re: RTF Mail Merge Fields
    ... Ypur best bet here is probably to avoid using automatic numbering in the main document - although it may be possible to prevent "interference" between the numbering in the RTF and the numbering in the main document by specifying a named list template or some such in the main document, that stuff is hard to tame. ... This all seems to work but when it gets merged into word, all of the formatting is lost. ... It appears to me from the use of these switches I can use /*charformat to bold, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)
  • Re: RTF Mail Merge Fields
    ... So my question is how do I a merge where the source contains bulleted lists and maintain the correct style of the bullets. ... Also - I've rather lost the plot here, but if you can spell out what you are using in the RTF, what you are using in the mail merge main document, what results you are trying to achieve and what you are actually getting, I can certainly have another look. ... This all seems to work but when it gets merged into word, all of the formatting is lost. ... It appears to me from the use of these switches I can use /*charformat to bold, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)