Re: Most stable and tested distribution?

Robert Heller <heller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

Slackware basically has no package management (or a really
simple-minded one). There is not anything like apt-get or
yum at all. You need to check each package *manually* for
updates and you also need to *manually* deal with
dependencies (basically you rebuild from source and
re-install). Also, you cannot even try to update Slackware,
you can only do an install.

This sounds like a lot of duplicated effort between Slackware
users. A central software update channel would be much better,
even if it was for the software less likely to break the system
(anything except hardware drivers, X, desktop environments, the
kernel etc.)

It certainly doesn't sound enticing, to me at least.

  • Re: Most stable and tested distribution?
    ... There is not anything like apt-get or yum at all. ... You need to check each package *manually* for updates and you also need ... Also, you cannot even try to update Slackware, you can ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Most stable and tested distribution?
    ... debian/ubuntu) that will do it for me? ... Slackware basically has no package management (or a really ... There is not anything like apt-get or yum at all. ... Also, you cannot even try to update Slackware, you can ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)