Re: Most stable and tested distribution?
- From: Giorgos Tzampanakis <gt67@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:01:03 +0000 (UTC)
Robert Heller <heller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
Slackware basically has no package management (or a really
simple-minded one). There is not anything like apt-get or
yum at all. You need to check each package *manually* for
updates and you also need to *manually* deal with
dependencies (basically you rebuild from source and
re-install). Also, you cannot even try to update Slackware,
you can only do an install.
This sounds like a lot of duplicated effort between Slackware
users. A central software update channel would be much better,
even if it was for the software less likely to break the system
(anything except hardware drivers, X, desktop environments, the
It certainly doesn't sound enticing, to me at least.
- Prev by Date: Re: Kmail filter function to execute a program.
- Next by Date: Re: SciFi-like virus stories ?
- Previous by thread: Re: Most stable and tested distribution?
- Next by thread: Re: Most stable and tested distribution?