Re: difference between striping using mdadm and LVM

unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

Thanks unruh!

Do you want speed or do you want size or do you want redundancy?

Mainly speed. Size and Redundancy are good but lesser goals. I guess its
always a tradeoff between all 3.

2. Do I add LVM on top? THis is cleaner than arbitrarily mounting /home1
/home2 etc. But the overhead of LVM worries me 3. Do I use LVM striping
or not? etc.

You want to use lvm why?

Because I have 3 different "storage boxes" with 15 drives each. At best I
see three devices /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc after I use the hardware RIAD
controllers. Logically I just want to mount /home on them.

At worst (If I do 7 disk RAID5's) I might see 6 physical drives. Then again
LVM would aggregate them and I could mount /home.

I am open to other sugesstions.

--
Rahul

  • Re: mount hda3 fails
    ... This partition is an LVM and is under the control of LVM, ... In fact you never actually mount a physical partition, you mount filesystems. ... Until the advent of software RAID and LVM a filesystem normally equated to a physical partition but that is not necessarily true any longer. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze
    ... complains that it can not stat the swap partition, which is on LVM. ... tries to mount all of my removable drives from /etc/fstab. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: mount LVM?
    ... you must specify the filesystem type ... When I "man mount" I don't see an LVM option. ... Why do you think that the partition is a LVM physical volume? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: how to mount an lvm (thumb) drive?
    ... fdisk -l shows the root partition ... I would like to mount / by hand at another mount point, ... man lvm doesn't seem to mention mounting. ... Removing physical volumes from a volume group ...
    (Fedora)
  • mount LVM?
    ... I am partway through an upgrade to a new hard drive, a new video card and FC6. ... When I manually to to mount / to ... When I "man mount" I don't see an LVM option. ... -- George Ros ...
    (Fedora)