Re: X windows client server confusion

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:33:35 -0500, Todd <todd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am confused. When running "X" windows, is the
terminology reversed? By chance is the computer
hosting the applications called the client and
the remote computer viewing the applications called
the server? Is so, why is this?

I connect to another computer over the network using ssh. Start
an application such as gkrellm. It's running on the remote
computer, but it's display output is shown on my computer.

The server, is the X application on my computer. The client
is the gkrellm application on the remote computer.

Regards, Dave Hodgins