Re: X windows client server confusion

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:33:35 -0500, Todd <todd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am confused. When running "X" windows, is the
terminology reversed? By chance is the computer
hosting the applications called the client and
the remote computer viewing the applications called
the server? Is so, why is this?

I connect to another computer over the network using ssh. Start
an application such as gkrellm. It's running on the remote
computer, but it's display output is shown on my computer.

The server, is the X application on my computer. The client
is the gkrellm application on the remote computer.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

  • Software Developer Lead for New Mobile Device Product
    ... with a client in Austin who has the following opening. ... is in need of a Passionate Software Developer who is hands-on to lead ... commercial work experience in both web and server side applications. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Embedded Software Engineers, needed in Seattle
    ... One of our client companies in Seattle, ... Create editor for NFN content and server application to import content ... Test server for applications relating to each of the aforementioned ... Experience with being part of a creativity workforce and programming ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Embedded Software Engineers, needed in Seattle
    ... One of our client companies in Seattle, ... Create editor for NFN content and server application to import content ... Test server for applications relating to each of the aforementioned ... Experience with being part of a creativity workforce and programming ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: "Assign Applications to client computers" doesnt work
    ... I fixed it, rebooted the server, asked the users ... Windows Small Business Server 2003 client access license. ... CheckPreInstall- Server-Admin Shortcut already ... Regarding the "Assign applications to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: X server
    ... What I want to do is to use my computer in the living room as the main one, to listen to music, watch movies and all, but I want to have another one in another room to work on it. ... So I was thinking I could use the main computer as a X server, and the other one as a X client. ... The X _server_ runs on the machine that is providing the display, keyboard, and mouse that the user employs. ... It provides a virtualized GUI device to one or more X _client_ applications. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)