Re: Linux's Much Overlooked Calculator -- BC

On comp.os.linux.misc, unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 2010-03-24, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On comp.os.linux.misc, Sidney Lambe
<sidneylambe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On comp.os.linux.misc, John Hasler <jhasler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Jean-David Beyer writes:

I usually have one running, but not always. Once I have
loaded one in the morning, even if I exit it, it reloads
very fast as it tends to be in the cache. I tend to close
it if I need more desktop space for something else.

That's why I have four desktops with sixteen panes each.

That's absurd and isn't anything but showmanship. To impress
the ignorant.

??? Showmanship for whom? I work on my machine by myself. I do
not show it to anyone else. If I open a window for something I
tend not to shut it, because I am likely to want it again in a
little while. So what?

64 windows? Please.
No one could even remember what was on all of them.

Why waste my time shutting windows that do not need to be shut.
They just sit there doing nothing when not used.

What time? I can do it in a fraction of a second. If you ran
Linux from the commandline you wouldn't be wasting your time
playing with a mouse. And I can usually do what I want to do
without even opening a new window.

They are using a little system resources. Check the output
of ps and free and then shut them down and check again.

I prefer not to use system resources for anything that isn't
necessary. My computers and peripherals last a very long
time because of this practice.

And I never run out of resources when I am, for example,
doing some major compiling and downloading a lot of
large files. It isn't slowed down by processes
that aren't being used.

Useless eye-candy. No one needs 64 windows open at a time.

I have 7, full-screen windows open. There's nothing on the
screen but the app and a narrow strip, one character high,
at the bottom of the screen which tells me the number and
name of each window and which one I was at last and where I
am now. The strip is also used to display brief and short
messages like "mail on the foo account". If I need to I can
split the screen in various ways so I can view the output of
two or more apps at the same time.

These uncluttered screens make working and playing very
pleasant.

Fine, do whatever you want. Your are probably one of those
people that believe a clean desktop indicates some obscure
virtue as well. I do not.

You said that, I didn't. Why try to put words in my mouth
for the sake of a petty insult?

Why are you bothered by people who don't run Linux just
like you?

Why have your screen cluttered up with stuff you don't need?

[delete]

Sid

  • Re: Market Share, Tablets, and the Future of Computing
    ... This sort of augmented reality is not really all that far away. ... own window and letting the user sort it out. ... How do you propose to make use of such different sized screens without ... comparative disadvantage. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Linuxs Much Overlooked Calculator -- BC
    ... loaded one in the morning, even if I exit it, it reloads ... If I open a window for something I ... So what if they are using "a little system resources". ... These uncluttered screens make working and playing very ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [9fans] Equis and parallels on mac (long!)
    ... or in a big window ... to make the parallels window full-screen before starting equis. ... as soon as the fat plan 9 mouse cursor hits the ... number of screens: 1 ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Saving an Internet Explorer STATIC Web Page
    ... > What good is saving something if it isn't saved. ... >> noticed the download dialog window that pops up when you attempt to save ... > because the page may be several screens long. ... >> actually could save a static copy when your browser window occupied half ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Saving an Internet Explorer STATIC Web Page
    ... CutePDF is also free and works well as a printer (to a PDF ... |>> What good is saving something if it isn't saved (in ... |>> because the page may be several screens long. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)