Re: Unmounting a dead remote NFS system

At Sat, 22 May 2010 13:41:47 +0000 (UTC) "James H. Markowitz" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an NFS partition P mounted locally from a remote machine.
The problem is that the remote machine has died. When I do

umount -f P

I get a diagnostic whereby somebody is still using P. I try to find out
who by means of fuser, and fuser hangs, apparently forever.

How can I get rid of P without rebooting my box?

One of the (unfortunate) things about NFS is that it does not really
handle this situation well (never has). Once you start getting wedged
processes (often df's), the only solution is a reboot. OTOH, the hung
processes don't really consume much in the way of resources and there is
little chance of system breakage, so you can take your time and schedule
the reboot at some time that is otherwise least distruptive (like at 2am
or something).

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@xxxxxxxxxxxx -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/