Re: Unmounting a dead remote NFS system

At Sat, 22 May 2010 13:41:47 +0000 (UTC) "James H. Markowitz" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an NFS partition P mounted locally from a remote machine.
The problem is that the remote machine has died. When I do

umount -f P

I get a diagnostic whereby somebody is still using P. I try to find out
who by means of fuser, and fuser hangs, apparently forever.

How can I get rid of P without rebooting my box?

One of the (unfortunate) things about NFS is that it does not really
handle this situation well (never has). Once you start getting wedged
processes (often df's), the only solution is a reboot. OTOH, the hung
processes don't really consume much in the way of resources and there is
little chance of system breakage, so you can take your time and schedule
the reboot at some time that is otherwise least distruptive (like at 2am
or something).

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@xxxxxxxxxxxx -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

  • Re: Unmounting a dead remote NFS system
    ... The problem is that the remote machine has died. ... who by means of fuser, and fuser hangs, apparently forever. ... the only solution is a reboot. ... been years since I've had an nfs mount crash so hard I had ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Unmounting a dead remote NFS system
    ... I have an NFS partition P mounted locally from a remote machine. ... umount -f P ... who by means of fuser, and fuser hangs, apparently forever. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • File in use
    ... I have a file that gets stuck open during my debugging of my application ... sometimes I have to reboot my system. ... This is a remote machine and I ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: afraid to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev
    ... upgrade on a remote machine with some hardware troubles and I am afraid ... if you got a new kernel image you need to restart the machine to use it ... Apart from that there shouldn't be any need to reboot, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Detect Remote Shutdown
    ... > You should be able to get the server boottime using WMI.. ... >> the reboot of a remote machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)