Re: Unmounting a dead remote NFS system

Robert Heller wrote:
At Sat, 22 May 2010 13:41:47 +0000 (UTC) "James H. Markowitz" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an NFS partition P mounted locally from a remote machine. The problem is that the remote machine has died. When I do

umount -f P

I get a diagnostic whereby somebody is still using P. I try to find out who by means of fuser, and fuser hangs, apparently forever.

How can I get rid of P without rebooting my box?

One of the (unfortunate) things about NFS is that it does not really
handle this situation well (never has). Once you start getting wedged
processes (often df's), the only solution is a reboot. OTOH, the hung
processes don't really consume much in the way of resources and there is
little chance of system breakage, so you can take your time and schedule
the reboot at some time that is otherwise least distruptive (like at 2am
or something).

Seconded in every respect.

  • Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt
    ... Mounting the disc read-only works, however, and I can read all the data ... After that, the MO is dead, "reboot" doesn't do anything, and all that ... to umount. ... To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/ ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: changing /home location
    ... and reboot to try it out. ... time by doing a umount on the new volume and deleting all the stuff in /home ... Then mount the new volume again. ... > hdb, so when I create any user on my system, his/her data (including his ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Why is one sync() not enough?
    ... >umount and then reboot, the filesystem is left in an unclean state. ... >If I do sync() two times ... * Your reboot actually powers down the disk. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Hardware RAID df output...
    ... It seems like I should be showing the partitions ... And if I can see the same stuff I did before the umount then I can assume ... can I do the mount -a while I'm logged in? ... I hear that unix doesn't have to reboot but it doesn't make ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • How to fsck -CURRENT on next reboot [ext2fs]
    ... To have your FreeBSD -CURRENT fsck all ufs file systems at next reboot, ... See how it complains about giving up on fsync first for the ext2fs, ... umount -f on the ext2fs that you modified instead of reboot ...
    (freebsd-current)