Re: Bridging two Ethernet LAN segments with FDDI: possible options?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:00:31 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

I have my LAN in two buildings, about 100' apart. Right now I have a
100' CAT5 cable running between the two buildings. This *mostly* works,
but 100'

Really? I thought the limit was more like 100m (328'). I have network
runs (albeit indoors) which exceed 150' and are working with gig-ethernet
over copper.

of Ethernet cable is pretty much right on the limit for a
reliable network.

I would *like* to run a FDDI (fiber optic) cable and use a pair a PCI
FDDI cards (easy to get on E-Bay), but recently discovered that it is
not possible to create a software bridge between (copper) Ethernet NICs
and FDDI NICs, due to low-level differences (stuff like endianness of
the MAC addresses and packet sizes).

Wow, never heard of that. I thought the whole point of TCP/IP was to hide
those low-level details.

What alternitive options do I
have? I know it would be trivial to just route the two LAN segments, but
then they would effectively be two separate LANs.

Note: comments inline.

Caveat: I have no experience with optical cables.

--
Douglas Mayne

  • Re: headphones
    ... Copper is copper is copper, and it transmits whatever you send ... I don't even pay attention to claims about cables (anyone ... I assume you're talking DC resistance, ... You missed the early debacle of digital audio, wherein it spec'd perfectly (in the ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Ideal copper for cable
    ... **Most RG6 cable uses aluminium shielding and copper plated steel ... stiffness of RG6 can be a major PITA for many people. ... **Which is not required when using flexible cables. ... Quote,, Any good quality triple shelded RG 6 coax, will give you all ...
    (rec.audio.marketplace)
  • Re: Sourcing cable
    ... I deally Tinned copper is the most suitable for marine use as Copper ... circuit to ensure Safe and reliable operation. ... I was aware that copper prices were at an all time high, but was I was being disparaging about the price differential between meter tails and flexible cables which should have the same copper content. ... I was intending to solder lugs onto the cable and not use crimp connections and so not sure of the advantage of tinned cables, apart from easier reuse at a later date. ...
    (uk.rec.waterways)
  • Re: Skin Effect in Solid/Stranded/Litzendraht Wire -Guy Macon
    ... If the conductor is a bundle of seven strands (each of which ... transmission cable, from when the 234MW power plant ... a 2" dia copper interior. ... They installed three sets of four cables for ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Phone Line Interfacing - FCC Part-68
    ... fiber, to keep from having to tear up roads and sidewalks. ... concrete conduits are almost full of copper, so they pull one cell full ... there are few poles being taken down to ... they replaced the aerial cables over 10 years ago. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)