How to poll hostname from local name server with wildcard

I am developing a cross-platform application for Windows and Linux. I
would like the application to poll all computers/devices connected to
a LAN and with host names beginning with a special string, say
"SpecialDevice", for example "SpecialDevice_SN1" and
"SpecialDevice_SN2". Can I use wildcard to poll the local name
servers, similar to the way that the DNS resolver poll the DNS server
with wildcards? BTW, what is the command in Linux to poll the local
name server?

I would also like the application to check the availability of the
local name servers and DHCP server in the local network. What is the
best way to do so? Is there any sample available for Linux? What will
be the linux command or library that support this type of
application.

Thank you!

  • Re: So, Poll is not scalable... what to do?
    ... and never need to use poll(). ... your operating system supports is at http://kegel.com/rn/ ... the resulting ftp server scales very nicely (except for the ... sys_epoll is the equivalent on linux. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • How to poll hostname from local name server with wildcard
    ... I am developing a cross-platform application for Windows and Linux. ... Can I use wildcard to poll the local name ... servers, similar to the way that the DNS resolver poll the DNS server ... be the linux command or library that support this type of ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: How to poll hostname from local name server with wildcard
    ... Can I use wildcard to poll the local name ... servers, similar to the way that the DNS resolver poll the DNS server ... Is there any sample available for Linux? ... The DNS server and DHCP ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Newbie questions
    ... both my server and workstations. ... experience with Linux will be an unmitigated disaster. ... how experienced you are with Windows: ... learn how to use the Linux command line. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Selling LinuxCBT Redhat edition training cource .It is 75 hours/375 Videos on 10Cds training solut
    ... LinuxCBT is a unique and revolutionary approach to teaching the Linux ... outlets and other CBTs do not; real RedHat Linux skills! ... LinuxCBT includes both Client Management and Server Management ... Planning the installation - identify software, ...
    (alt.os.linux)