Different font rendering when GDM is not used

I use Ubuntu 10.04 with the Blackbox window manager. After I have configured the system not to use GDM (Gnome Display Manager), the fonts in X Windows are rendered differently (read worse) compared to when I login from GDM. My conclusion is that GDM does something to improve the font rendering but I don't know what. Any clues?

/August

  • Re: Problem with GDM setting ugly system fonts
    ... > After a long while, finally got GDM to work with Windowmaker, but the ... > system fonts are a little horrible - am trying to fix it. ... > extensive search on Google it seems that GDM sets the DPI of the X ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Fonts from GDM?
    ... Was this in the GDM or startx session? ... cat: .xserverrc: No such file or directory ... Fonts in Fluxbox are set by my theme. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Fonts from GDM?
    ... If I start fluxbox with 'startx' I am given another font and cursor. ... If I knew which font and cursor GDM was using, ... As for the fonts, could it be that the fonts are the same but the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Problem with GDM setting ugly system fonts
    ... After a long while, finally got GDM to work with Windowmaker, but the ... system fonts are a little horrible - am trying to fix it. ... the config file where it has the server start command, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with GDM setting ugly system fonts
    ... Here's the outputs from ps aux and the server settings for startx, ... ps aux | grep x gives: ... gdm - fonts comes up as nasty: ...
    (Debian-User)