Re: moving /bin

Bob Tennent <BobT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'm trying to move certain file systems to partitions on a SSD. So far
I've successfully moved /usr and /var. But I've not been successful at
moving /bin. The box boots but fails during the start-up. I'm running
CentOS 5.5. I've been doing these moves by copying the relevant file
system to the SSD partition using cp -a, moving the relevant file system
to another location, creating a suitable mount point such as /usr,
mounting the partition on the mount point, and adjusting /etc/fstab
accordingly. Why does this procedure not work for /bin?

/bin contains the programs required before /usr has been mounted (for
instance, in order to mount other filesystems in the first place). The
most obvious example is /bin/mount. Therefore it has to be on the root
filesystem.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

  • Re: moving /bin
    ... not been successful at moving /bin. ... these moves by copying the relevant file system to the SSD ... /usr, mounting the partition on the mount point, and adjusting ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Adding more storage for directory -- best choice?
    ... down to 25% free space. ... A simple way would be to mount the new drive as a directory on the old ... partition also now has plenty of room. ... If I may be so bold, you should start moving you music to CD-Rs or DVD- ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: moving /bin
    ... not been successful at moving /bin. ... these moves by copying the relevant file system to the SSD ... /usr, mounting the partition on the mount point, and adjusting ... Therefore it has to be on the root filesystem. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • geom_gate panic
    ... Using geom_gate to mount a geom_stripe array from another machine (hooked up ... the following happens when moving large amounts ...
    (freebsd-current)