Re: moving /bin

On 2011-01-13, Bob Tennent <BobT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to move certain file systems to partitions on a SSD. So far
I've successfully moved /usr and /var. But I've not been successful at
moving /bin. The box boots but fails during the start-up. I'm running

I would hope so. How in the world does the system know where to look for
/bin? The only way it has is to look in /bin. If the stuff is not there,
it cannot use it. Also if you try to make that a link, it will not work,
since the system ONLY mounts the / partition at boot time, and if the
link is off the / partition, it again cannot see anything.

/bin, /lib, /etc all MUST be on the / partition, or the system cannot
find them.

CentOS 5.5. I've been doing these moves by copying the relevant file
system to the SSD partition using cp -a, moving the relevant file system
to another location, creating a suitable mount point such as /usr,
mounting the partition on the mount point, and adjusting /etc/fstab
accordingly. Why does this procedure not work for /bin?

Bob T.

  • Getting a 2nd hard disk partition to mount in CE 5.0
    ... I am developing an image with CE 5 with a persistent hive based registry, ... The first time the image boots (using the default ... the second partition does not mount ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: [opensuse] Hal & Policy Kit?
    ... I am unable to mount them in 11.2 getting the message "Hal Device Volume ... I'm confused, when you boot 11.2, or any of the other OS's, I ... the drive where the partition should have been mounted, ... cat /proc/partitions ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence
    ... I'll get random mount sequences. ... At the beginning the USB ... nautilus remember that 'storage3' was 1st partition, ... SCSI drives are listed by order of discovery. ...
    (Fedora)
  • 2.6.32-rc6 - 2.6.32-rc6-git3 misinterpreting fstype on boot
    ... strangeness - misinterpreting the xfs partition as reiserfs. ... proc on /proc type proc ... is a reiserfs partition it needs to mount as "/root"????. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.32-rc6 - 2.6.32-rc6-git3 misinterpreting fstype on boot
    ... strangeness - misinterpreting the xfs partition as reiserfs. ... system.board.vendor = 'ASUSTeK Computer INC.' ... is a reiserfs partition it needs to mount as "/root"????. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)