Re: Limit RAM usage

Martin Hierholzer wrote:
On 21 Jan., 11:16, The Natural Philosopher <t...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I am not a guru, but I would say that you cant and it would be a
thoroughly bad idea anyway, as if it didn't use physical RAM it would
start paging and screw the whole system.

The system has no swap, so paging is mostly disabled. The problem is,
now processes still can take the whole system down by allocating too
much memory. I've configured the watchdog to kill those processes
then, but that takes a long time (several minutes), as the watchdog
and the repair script don't get RAM as well...

Let's put it this way: I want to limit the amount of memory that would
usually be in RAM unless the system starts paging. I hope you
understand what I mean... There must be some solution, I guess it is
not an uncommon situation to have a multi-user environment on a system
meant to be used for high-performance calculations. Even without any
hostile intentions, sometimes the user processes use too much memory
by mistake. There must be some protection against this...

man ulimit

  • Re: upgrading memory
    ... what is in memory has to be written on the disk and the new ... Although this is paging, it's essentially one-time paging, usually ... and it doesn't use the CPU and it doesn't page. ... Additional RAM might help some, but how just much it'll help mostly ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Do I need a Page File?
    ... paging out physical memory or not. ... Can I do that or does Windows XP really need the ... > require the paging file, ... > unlimited amounts of RAM, we wouldn't even NEED a paging file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Limit RAM usage
    ... so paging is mostly disabled. ... and the repair script don't get RAM as well... ... I want to limit the amount of memory that would ... If you wish your postings to be seen by ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Limit RAM usage
    ... so paging is mostly disabled. ... I've configured the watchdog to kill those processes ... and the repair script don't get RAM as well... ... I want to limit the amount of memory that would ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: RAM help!
    ... I did NOT say adding memory is always good. ... the need for paging. ... Adding RAM eliminates the need for paging. ... with 512MB of memory each and 3GB's of installed RAM. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)