Re: Mount Problem

On Feb 10, 9:38 am, Tauno Voipio <tauno.voi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 10.2.11 4:52 , bobneworle...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I am beginning to learn linux and wish to mount a usb drive's
partition on my VMware host.  I installed ESXi 4.1 (embedded) on a
thumb drive, booted from it, then used fdisk to create a new primary
partition type c.  Plugged it into another machine to format it vfat,
copied the log to it, and verified I could read the log file from my
Windows laptop.  Then I rebooted my VMware host from the USB drive.

Since /dev/disks now contains an entry for mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0:2, I
figured this is how linux wants to refer to the new partition so I
created the mount point (/usbstick) and added the following entry to /
etc/fstab:
/dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0:2  /usbstick  vfat  defaults  0 0
Is this a valid format?

When I tried to mount /usbstick, I get the following message:
mount: mounting /dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0:2 on /usbstick failed:
No such device

There are several references to vmhba32:C0:T0:L0 in the log but none
to partition 2.  Is this to be expected?
fdisk /dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0 shows that partition 2 exists.

The log also includes five lines from usbartitrator that may be
relevant:
Feb  9 11:58:30 root: usbarbitrator Evicting objects on USB devices
from the object cache
Feb  9 11:58:30 root: usbarbitrator Unclaiming USB devices
Feb  9 11:58:31 root: usbarbitrator Rescanning to complete removal of
USB devices
Feb  9 11:58:31 vmkernel: 0:00:00:37.192 cpu1:5533)<6>usb passthrough
enabled; all eligible devices will be unclaimed by kernel drivers
except for ESXi boot device vmhba32
Feb  9 11:58:31 root: usbarbitrator Rescanning to complete removal of
USB devices

Please suggest some possible ways to enable the mount.
Bob Simon

You may be confused about which system controls the USB drive,
tahe host system (I guess Windows) or the client Linux. At least
I am confused. It seems that the mpx.vmhba device is the VmWare
pseudo-device for controlling something on the host.

Have a look at the VmWare menu to see which operating system
has the USB stick attached.

--

Tauno Voipio

While troubleshooting this issue (mounting the drive on the host), I
deleted ALL virtual machines so the only OSs we need to be concerned
with are ESXi and whatever flavor of linux was installed by vSphere.
The reason I referred to Windows was to demonstrate that partition 2
is properly formatted and can be accessed by both Fedora 5 and Vista.

Fedora 5 referred to the partition as sda2 so I wonder if the mount
command might be having a problem with the following syntax in fstab:
/dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0:2

  • Re: Burning my Windows XP installation CD to USB Flash drive
    ... USB drives are the ... don't need to do USB boot. ... To give an example of the usage of TestDisk, I plugged a Win2K installer ... custom partition options. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Problems Installing Fedora Core 2
    ... Microsoft Wheel Optical USB Mouse ... auto detects my drives as "Ultra DMA 5" ... Installer does not set the /boot partition as the active parition, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence
    ... I'll get random mount sequences. ... At the beginning the USB ... nautilus remember that 'storage3' was 1st partition, ... SCSI drives are listed by order of discovery. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Create a bootable partition on a USB disk
    ... I want to boot Ubuntu from my 550 gig usb disk. ... partition on the disk for this purpose with GPartEd. ... I have formatted it in NTFS format. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: < 32 GB partitions only at external hard drive
    ... Do you want a single partition encompassing the full capacity of your 250 ... windows says that it could not complete the format. ... just had a very similar experience with an external USB hard drive. ... logical drives kind of "muddied the waters" here. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)