Re: hard-drive problem

On 2011-06-09, Kruppt <Krupptus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2011-06-09, David Bernier <david250@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have Fedora 14 installed. I boot from a hard drive: dozens or hundreds of
gigabytes. It must be about four years old.

About 10 days ago, the computer wouldn't reboot. I was getting error
messages that looked something like:

"SATA error [...] "

The hard drive is of the newer type: SATA (small cable) rather than
ATA (thick cable). I don't have backups and I don't have RAID.

Today, I tried again and was prompted for root's password, which
I entered.

Then, the system suggested I run fsck manually, which I did.

About half a dozen file system inconsistencies and other problems
were found by the fsck utility, an automatic repair suggestion was
made, which I said yes to in all cases.

At the end of all this, I rebooted and got as far as the X-window
interface with a login prompt. I did a yum update as root.
Then, I rebooted and logged in as an ordinary user.

I figure if I don't reboot, there's less of a chance of running into
a read/write problem with the hard drive.

At the same time, fsck found file system inconsistencies, so
maybe my hard drive is getting old and unreliable.

Maybe I should make a backup to an external hard drive?

Sorry, are you trolling? Is this a rhetorical question? Assume you had
been able to get your disk back. Would it have been a (semi) disaster,
or would you not have cared? If you do not care if you loose everything
on the disk, then by all means, do not make a backup. If it would
inconvenience you, cause you to loose your job or your home, etc, why
would you not make ( and have made a long time ago) a backup?

Maybe buy a new hard disk? (Still, I might want a backup).

Do you think so?

So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do next.

David Bernier

Check the cables to make sure the cables are seated properly first.

Purchase a new drive and use dd_rescue or ddrescue booted from LiveCD
(http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs)
to salvage/clone drive to the new drive.
Then run e2fsck -v -f -p /dev/sdXX on the partitions
that exist on the new drive after cloning.

I would simply copy everything to a new drive that you want to save,
reinstall the newer version of the operating system on that new drive,
and throw away that disk. Once you start to have problems you will have
more and more of them ( Think about a tiny fleck of oxide having come
loose. It is now repeated ground into the disk by the disk readwrite
head, making more flecks, making more grinding etc). Disks are cheap.
For most people their data/time is not cheap.

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ddrescue
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/