Re: need to wipe a disk

unruh wrote:

On 2011-12-28, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-28, Todd <Todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a disk with personal information on it that I need
to wipe.

There's erase and there's eliminate. Do some research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure

nb

if you are paranoid take a crusher to it.

Otherwise dd will render an data on it totally inaccessible to anyone
without the ability to strip the drive and read it almost by hand.

And almost certainly not even then. Manufacturers spend huge amounts of
money trying to extract the absolutely maximum data density from the
drives. Any data which survives writing 0 to evey byte is clearly data
which could be harvested to increase the data density on the drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence

is worth a look.

Whilst it is acknowledged that overwriting will make it fairly impossible
for mere mortals to recover data, the USA's DoD and NSA require more
stringent destruction methods.

--
Tim Watts

  • Re: need to wipe a disk
    ... if you are paranoid take a crusher to it. ... Otherwise dd will render an data on it totally inaccessible to anyone ... drives. ... which could be harvested to increase the data density on the drive. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Brand new to this stuff. Will my system cope? 2 drives or 3?
    ... and sets up a Paging File that is 1.5X your RAM on your C drive. ... For optimum video editing performance, ... Editing is not a big issue until render time. ... when I followed the rule of 2 separate drives from C for capture ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: FCP Render Time Problems
    ... OS and FCP versions you used for the first ... I have three hard drives and one external fire wire drive. ... FCP off of the main OSX drive and have my media and render files on the ... I went through the title sequence last night and it's fine. ...
    (rec.video.production)
  • Re: Rendering MPG to DVD VOB using Pinnacle Studio 10 - how long?
    ... Assuming you can put them on different drives, ... the VIDEO_TS folder on the system disk. ... So out the render directory on one drive and the VIDEO_TS ... The time is in populating the rendering folder ...
    (uk.rec.video.digital)
  • Re: ANOTHER POSSIBLE LAPTOP FOR MOBILE PROTOOLS SETUP??
    ... 500 gigabyte is likely to have a higher surface data density than say an 10 ... The 7200 rpm recommendation is btw. from the day and age of dual digit ... drives sizes, I have 3 Western Digital 5400 rpm drives that I bought ""back ... because a german test reported them to have a higher transfer-rate than ...
    (rec.audio.pro)