Re: need to wipe a disk

unruh wrote:

On 2011-12-28, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-28, Todd <Todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a disk with personal information on it that I need
to wipe.

There's erase and there's eliminate. Do some research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure

nb

if you are paranoid take a crusher to it.

Otherwise dd will render an data on it totally inaccessible to anyone
without the ability to strip the drive and read it almost by hand.

And almost certainly not even then. Manufacturers spend huge amounts of
money trying to extract the absolutely maximum data density from the
drives. Any data which survives writing 0 to evey byte is clearly data
which could be harvested to increase the data density on the drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence

is worth a look.

Whilst it is acknowledged that overwriting will make it fairly impossible
for mere mortals to recover data, the USA's DoD and NSA require more
stringent destruction methods.

--
Tim Watts
.