Linux hardware independence?

Hi!

In the article "10 Reasons to Switch to Linux" at http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000117

the following can be read regarding Linux hardware independence:

---------------------------------------
3. Virtually Hardware-Independent
Linux was designed and written to be easily portable to different
hardware. For the desktop user, this means that Linux has been and
likely always will be the first operating system to take advantage of
advances in hardware technology such as AMD's 64-bit processor chips.
---------------------------------------

My question is, what kind of strategy is used in the Linux kernel
source code to make Linux "Virtually hardware-independent"? I.e., how
is the source code organized to achieve hardware independence?

Is there a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which abstracts all the
hardware specifics? If so, which source code (files/directories) in
the Linux kernel are below the the HAL?

Any other "simple" or short explanations (or reference) how the
hardware independence is implemented in Linux would be greatly
appreciated!

Brs,
Markus

  • Re: (Xnews) Memory Problems reading goups with millions of posts - Thanks ->>> with a P.S. f
    ... need/want to DL more than 15,000 headers at once. ... You also haven't needed a PC that is a current hardware spec. ... aware of the existence of the "catch up and purge" feature, ... I also have a Linux Laptop with a 2.4 GHZ Mobile and 512 ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Moving From ProTools to Linux? Good or bad?
    ... I find that it's much easier to explain how audio routing works when people know the fundamentals. ... In hardware I always send them to the block diagram, and if necessary, coach them in reading it. ... I get the hint that Jack has something to do with this, but it's just not clear from what I can see from the JACK GUI. ... Has Linux "found" the sound card? ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: (OT) Re: Intel T5470 in HP 6820s taktet nicht runter?
    ... sollten aus Linux raus sein Das Fragezeichen sind ... Betrachtungssache) oder dass die Hersteller die Informationen zu den Geräten ... wenn sich zwei Treiber beißen. ... Obwohl sowohl Hardware als auch ...
    (de.comp.sys.notebooks)
  • Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
    ... problems with hardware support and getting a new version of the BSD kernel to ... the GPL software in the device, it seems like a license violation to ... This would not only change the spirit of the license, ... Linux is the kernel. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)