Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been released

On 28/04/2012 10:35 AM, Rui Maciel wrote:
Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) released!

The Ubuntu team is very pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
(Long-Term Support) for Desktop, Server, Cloud, and Core products.

Announcement at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/26/ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin-released/

quotes:
- Long term support maintenance updates will be provided for Ubuntu 12.04
for five years, through April 2017. For those working on the ARM
architecture, an 18 month supported release is also provided for the ARM
server using the ARM Hard Float (HF) architecture.

Has anyone tried it yet?

I'm a Linux novice, so I only see things from that point of view. I've
been using the beta for a while, and upgrading as I went along. I've had
a few errors that have reported themselves, but none since the latest
upgrades to the release versions. If you use Gnome 3 and not the
dreadful Unity, you'll find a few errors yet to be fixed - silly things,
but time wasting - like the battery indicator refusing to display, and
the volume control being missing altogether (they're on the indicator
applet, but that doesn't work well at all) ) - but by and large it seems
fine.

It's quite quick on my old laptop - nothing like as fast as the old
Linux Mint 9, but then everything is becoming more bloated these days. I
wanted to use a Long Term Support version, so I hope they fix the Gnome
problems, or I'll have to go back to Mint Debian with Mate.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

You know you're old when "getting lucky" means finding your car in the
car park.
.