Re: dynamic ip address - how to get to know my ip address?

From: Johannes Lebek (joh.lebek_at_SgPmAxM.de)
Date: 07/06/03

Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:36:56 +0200

Hi David,
thanks for the answer.
See my comments inline...

> There are various dynamic DNS services (web search for 'dns hosting'). I
> use no-ip.com. They have Windows and Unix clients that can run in the
> background so they can periodically grab your connecting internet IP.

My router has a built-in support for dynamic DNS service TZO. But it is not
a free service. I will not use this service often, so I don't want to spend
25 bucks on it. Actually, I don't want to use any of these services. I just
want to sent a e-mail to my mailbox, each time I dial in.

> Although, I hacked my Dlink gateway firmware so I can monitor its
> WAN IP from its login page with a Perl LWP script without having to login,
> and just update DNS when necessary.

That sounds interesting! If I were able to modify my login page of my
router's web interface, I could place the current ip address on this page.
This is brilliant. But I don't know how to hack my firmware.Sounds risky
somehow...

> I also have a wireless SMC router, but it has hardware/firmware problems
> that make it not worth messing with.

I had some problems with firmware, too. This seems to be a big problem of
SMC. The model I have is a SMC 2804 WBR. There was a firmware upgrade in the
beginning of June. I installed it because they promised to support WPA.
Unfortunately, after applying this firmware upgrade WEP did not work any
more. It took two weeks until they released a new firmware fix, although
they were aware of the problem one day after the erroneous firmware was
released. (I called them and they already knew.)

> Another option, if you have an internet web host somewhere, is to write
> your own CGI that you tickle with wget occasionally and stores your IP in
> a file you can access from anywhere. But it is simpler in the long run to
> use dynamic DNS (so you can configure clients for a fixed name).
>
> --
> David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AP1231s not pinging but showing up in CDP
    ... the last few days I haven't been able to login to them via SSH ... I have not changed the firmware on them since the last time I was able ... PS - I have other 1231 AP's in different locations running the same ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: UPNP on SMC 7404WBRA
    ... The SMC 7404WBRA is non UPnP compliant. ... Your only option is to disable the routers Firewall and rely on a ... SMC is looking over to develop a new firmware which makes the router UPnP ...
  • Re: [OT| Re: Wireless Distribution System - HILFE!!!
    ... > kann man einfach eine andere Firmware nehmen für einen AP? ... > gehen und was hat das für einen Sinn? ... Hersteller die Linuxsourcen frei gegeben. ... SMC gehört nicht dazu. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windows.server.networking)
  • AP1231s not pinging but showing up in CDP
    ... I've got AP's that previously had no problem communicating but as of ... the last few days I haven't been able to login to them via SSH ... I have not changed the firmware on them since the last time I was able ... PS - I have other 1231 AP's in different locations running the same ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: dlink router WBR-1310 forgets password
    ... I'd rather stick with the newer firmware anyway. ... If I really need to log into the router, I only need to cycle the ... Airman Thunderbird wrote: ... reset to defaults with the button in back, I can login. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)