linux -> Win XP -> Internet

From: panache (vbahety2000_at_rediffmail.com)
Date: 07/13/03

Date: 13 Jul 2003 06:53:29 -0700

Hi All,

I am trying to connect a network like this:

Linux ------> Win XP --------> Innternet
                     wireless

Explanation:
I have a laptop which runs Win XP Professional and is connected to the
internet on campus via a wireless card. The other machine is running
RH Linux and is connected to the laptop via a crossover cable. I am
giving the linux machine a private address (192.168.2.5) and the
laptops eth interface 192.168.2.6, which is also the Linux box's
default GW. Since the Linux box cannot be directly connected to the
internet, I want to access the internet through the Win XP machine.

I know that I need NAT enabled on XP, which I have read somewhere is
done by default. I have also configured the nameserver on Linux
(/etc/resolv.conf) to be the same as that of the Win XP machine.

I am able to ping to the wireless interface from the linux box but not
beyond that (the access point for instance).

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong (or If I am not doing
enough).

Thanks,

Vipul

Relevant Pages

  • no internet, any help/ideas apprecated
    ... My 4 year old Averatec laptop has ... internet (eth0) with WinXP, but not with Linux. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: XP + Wireless + Linux question
    ... > internet for the XP box and a laptop at the other end of the house. ... > connection to the internet being routed through the Linux box but the ... This would be a router, and will need to be on and connected for *any* ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Route settings
    ... > I am trying to set my Fedora Core 2 as a simple route. ... A laptop is connected to the desktop directly by net ... > the laptop is 192.168.1.2, I want to let the laptop access to internet, ... every conceivable error in the process; I don't know much about Linux, ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: XP + Wireless + Linux question
    ... The laptop has a default gateway that is set to the ip address linux box. ... > 2) How is traffic exiting the Linux box get routed into internet ... > 3) Will IPTABLES need adjustment to allow the internal windows client ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Simple situation, need advice
    ... How do i give a laptop running WindowsXP access to the internet (and ... samba/cups printer queue) through a linux workstation that hosts a pppoe ... dsl connection and a printer? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)