Re: Can I get 2 diff. IP addresses from a DHCP server?

From: James Knott (bit_bucket_at_rogers.com)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:45:40 GMT

    Iassen Hristov wrote:

    > Is it possible (and how) to setup a network interface to get 2 different
    > IP addresses (in the same subnet) from a DHCP server?
    >
    > It would be basically like having setup aliases, except I can't do this,
    > since this is a DHCP server from my provider and I don't have static IPs.
    >
    > I would not mind having 2 physical network adapters in the same machine,
    > but as far as I know they can't be in the same subnet.
    >
    > I am trying to avoid the need for 2 separate machines.

    You cannot get 2 dhcp addresses. The dhcp server assigns them to a MAC
    address, so even if you used an alias, the server wouldn't know about it.
    It would simply see a 2nd request from the same computer.

    --
    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.
    james.knott.

    • Re: A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network...
      ... The DHCP Server is on a different subnet and is an NT DHCP server. ... are happing in the subnet, and for reasons I am unclear of, workstations ... Bruce D. Meyer ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment)
    • Re: multiple DHCP scopes question
      ... There are two different ways to service multiple subnets with a single DHCP ... DHCP server and use relay agents. ... header and offers an address from the matching scope. ... > scope for each subnet. ...
    • Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
      ... Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help ... # This is a very basic subnet declaration. ... subnet 10.154.19.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 { ... Also the machine's netmask is 255.255.255.0 and the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
      ... Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help ... Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium. ... subnet 10.254.239.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 { ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: RRAS ip routing and ISA
      ... > I would like to join another internal subnet, ... > as a proxy server to the internet. ... > I have set up an RRAS server (ROUTER) with LAN Routing as well as DNS: ... When a stand-alone DHCP server detects an ...