Re: Can I get 2 diff. IP addresses from a DHCP server?

From: James Knott (bit_bucket_at_rogers.com)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:45:40 GMT

    Iassen Hristov wrote:

    > Is it possible (and how) to setup a network interface to get 2 different
    > IP addresses (in the same subnet) from a DHCP server?
    >
    > It would be basically like having setup aliases, except I can't do this,
    > since this is a DHCP server from my provider and I don't have static IPs.
    >
    > I would not mind having 2 physical network adapters in the same machine,
    > but as far as I know they can't be in the same subnet.
    >
    > I am trying to avoid the need for 2 separate machines.

    You cannot get 2 dhcp addresses. The dhcp server assigns them to a MAC
    address, so even if you used an alias, the server wouldn't know about it.
    It would simply see a 2nd request from the same computer.

    --
    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.
    james.knott.

    • Re: A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network...
      ... The DHCP Server is on a different subnet and is an NT DHCP server. ... are happing in the subnet, and for reasons I am unclear of, workstations ... Bruce D. Meyer ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment)
    • Re: multiple DHCP scopes question
      ... There are two different ways to service multiple subnets with a single DHCP ... DHCP server and use relay agents. ... header and offers an address from the matching scope. ... > scope for each subnet. ...
    • Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
      ... Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help ... # This is a very basic subnet declaration. ... subnet 10.154.19.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 { ... Also the machine's netmask is 255.255.255.0 and the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: RRAS ip routing and ISA
      ... > I would like to join another internal subnet, ... > as a proxy server to the internet. ... > I have set up an RRAS server (ROUTER) with LAN Routing as well as DNS: ... When a stand-alone DHCP server detects an ...
    • Re: DHCP with multiple scopes
      ... subnet 200.200.200.208 netmask 255.255.255.240 { ... UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 ... Since you have one physical segment with two IP ranges, and since DHCP is broadcast using universal broadcast address, there's no way to distinguish between devices requesting addresses for one logical subnet or the other. ... You could segment with VLANs and use two physical interfaces on the DHCP server - one on each virtual segment, or you could route between VLANs and use a DHCP relay on one segment to request IP addresses in the proper range from the DHCP server. ...
      (linux.redhat)