Re: where to find ip_tables

From: richard noel fell (fell01_at_rcn.com)
Date: 08/27/03

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:44:42 -0400

Gustavo Perez wrote:

> richard noel fell wrote:
>
>> Gustavo Perez wrote:

>> [rfell@rosewall net]$ ls /lib/modules/2.4.21-asmp/kernel/drivers/net
>> 3c59x.o bonding.o e1000.o e100.o eepro100.o mii.o
>> [rfell@rosewall net]$ /sbin/modprobe ip_tables
>> modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
>> [rfell@rosewall net]$
>>
>> I guess I am missing something.
>> Dick
>>

> My apologies but you must check this directory :
>

> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/
>
> Here at work I find the modules used by the netfilter modules used
> for packet filtering. Checking my slack at home configuration shows :
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip
>
> So in fact this is the right directory. If you are missing this
> modules, there are two possibilities to get them :
>
> 1).- Compile a new version of the kernel with netfilter support as
> modules (with ip-masq, blablabla). Remember to use the EXTRAVERSION
> directive in the Makefile located in /usr/src/linux (you should use it
> as it won't hurd, is used to keep to kernels of the same version) in
> other not to conflict your previous modules.
>
> 2).- Due you are using one of those user-friendly distro, probably
> you may grab the netfilter related modules from a ftp amb install them
> via rpm.
>
> If you need assistance I may help you via e-mail.
>
> Gus

Gus -
    Thanks for your reply and efforts. The relevant directory in redhat
9 is /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-asmp/net/ipv4/netfilter
This includes, among many other files, ip_tables.c and a Makefile. I
have to read up about compiling a new kernel as that is beyond my
expertise level. Any further advice is more than welcome.
Thanks,
Dick