Linux-friendly ISP for e-mail

From: Mark Cudworth (markc_at_eskimo.com.invalid)
Date: 08/27/03

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:13:33 -0500

I am looking for a new ISP that works reasonably well with Linux. I
currently have a broadband connection (Comcast), but I am not impressed
with their e-mail utilities. My current ISP for e-mail (Eskimo North) was
good until recently, when they decided to start classifying Comcast as a
"spam site" and refusing my incoming e-mail from my friends, etc. who use
Comcast. *I* prefer to make the decisions about what I consider spam.
E-mail from my fiancée isn't spam, even though Eskimo North thinks so.

I'd like to find an ISP for my e-mail that has UNIX shell access,
Procmail, POP/IMAP, SSH and other standard utilities. It would also be
nice if they had a large collection of regional numbers I could use for
dialup when I travel with my laptop, but this isn't a necessity.

Can anyone out there recommend an ISP that works well with Linux?
Linux/UNIX support isn't necesary, I just need them to run standard,
non-proprietary services.

I am located in Indiana, if that makes a difference. I will likely be
downloading my e-mail over my existing cable modem connection, however.

Thanks for any (reasonable) suggestions!

--
Mark Cudworth

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux-friendly ISP for e-mail
    ... > I am looking for a new ISP that works reasonably well with Linux. ... > currently have a broadband connection (Comcast), ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Looking for domain with single-page free hosting.
    ... your ISP, Comcast. ... Once you register a ... domain name you can redirect traffic to that address to your Comcast page. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: The Best Browser for Vista
    ... Gimp. ... I didn't admit to ever saying you used Comcast. ... How did you trace my ISP to the Chicago area without knowing it's Comcast? ... "Alan said I'm Edwin because I use Comcast." ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Determining real IP in various online security tests
    ... >> You are correct that some scanners are detecting that your ISP uses ... >> transparent proxies. ... >statement 'I'm wondering if they're pulling a Comcast'. ... For your interest on Verizon ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Exchange Eamil Problems SBS 2003
    ... Most places I've been, you have a choice, at least with DSL, of who your ISP ... Russ SBITS.Biz (MCP SBS) wrote: ... That are Issued out by Comcast and Verizon... ... If your DNS is set up correctly, and you're not an open relay, you ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)