Re: Portable openssh.

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 10/03/03

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 07:27:10 +0000 (UTC)

"Gladiator" <billy@30plusplus.com> writes:

]I hope someone can help me to understand one thing. :)
]What´s the difference between openssh from RedHat and from www.openssh.org?
]I have installed a portable openssh 3.5p1-1.rpm on RedHat 7.3 and it was a
]year ago.

So you went out and got an ssh from the openssh site and installed it?

]Now I want to update the latest openssh with openssh-3.1p1-14.i386.rpm från
]RedHat Network.

And now want to use the RedHat openssh?
1

]If you look at the version number it lower then the one I have installed, am
]I upgrading or downgrading?

downgrading.
However you may have more security patches in the Redhat one.

Why did you install the version from 3.5 in the first place?

If you want to stay with 3.5, you could try downloading the openssh-3.5p1-11.src.rpm
from the Redhat security page, and recompiling that
rpm --rebuild openssh-3.5p1-11.src.rpm
Not guarenteed to work, but there is a chance.

]Whats the difference? Could anyone tell me or give a tips on a websites that
]have this information for a newbie like me.

Go to the openssh web site and look at the complete revision history of openssh to find out what
changes were made between 3.1 and 3.5. Then look at the Redhat patches to see what changes they
made. You obviously felt a year ago that you wanted something from 3.5 that the
standard Redhat issue for 7.3 did not saupply. What was that?

]I did install the openssh-3.1p1-14.i386.rpm anyway on my server and it did
]install new sshd_config.rpmnew.
]But I restarted sshd without changing the sshd_config and I got following
]errors on these options:
]UsePrivilegeSeparation
]KerberosAuthentication
]KerberosOrLocalPasswd
]KerberosTicketCleanup

Yes, there were changes in openssh from 3.1 to 3.5.

]Is my server more secure after the upgrade?

Who knows. You do not have the upgrades made from 3.1 to 3.5 You do have security bug fixes
installed by Redhat to 3.1

]Billy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Portable openssh.