Re: Dialin Server - Connects but no net activity. Any pointers?

From: Clifford Kite (kite_at_see.signature.id)
Date: 10/07/03

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:18:13 -0500

Warren Smith <warren@connect4.com.au> wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a dialin server on a redhat 7.3 box that sits
> on our network. The machine gets internet connection by a defaultroute
> on a gateway machine that NATs the machines on the 192.168.0.x LAN.
> The dialin server has one NIC that is connected to the lan/accesses
> the net. Basically, I have set it up so I should be able to dial in
> and use the net/LAN using a windows machine + dial up modem. I can
> connect to the machine, auth username/password but when I connect, no
> internet activity happens nor can I ping anywhere (net or lan or
> dialup server IPS) from the windows machine. The relative info is:

I didn't see a thing wrong with anything in your post *except* that you
seem to want to use the mgetty AutoPPP feature but don't require PAP
authentication, and that the use of the pppd option "login" requires
an entry for the call-in username in the system password database (see
"man pppd" - do you really have a username /AutoPPP/ there?;) as well
as a suitable entry in pap-secrets. The username is obtained from the
"user username" option required by PAP authentication.

Beyond that, posting exact copies of the "heap of LCP lines removed",
including timestamps, might be helpful in determining why it appears
that PPP negotiations successfully complete but the dial-in is unable
to even ping the "server" IP address.

It's okay (and normal) for the server's local IP address for the
PPP interface to be the same as the one for the LAN, but the dial-in
IP address must belong to the subnet for the LAN if you want to get
beyond the server.

-- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.
   Use =} to wrap paragraphs in vi. Or put map ^] !}fmt -72^M in
   ~/.exrc and use ^] to wrap to 72 columns or whatever you choose. */