Re: Dialin Server - Connects but no net activity. Any pointers?

From: Clifford Kite (kite_at_see.signature.id)
Date: 10/07/03

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:18:13 -0500

Warren Smith <warren@connect4.com.au> wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a dialin server on a redhat 7.3 box that sits
> on our network. The machine gets internet connection by a defaultroute
> on a gateway machine that NATs the machines on the 192.168.0.x LAN.
> The dialin server has one NIC that is connected to the lan/accesses
> the net. Basically, I have set it up so I should be able to dial in
> and use the net/LAN using a windows machine + dial up modem. I can
> connect to the machine, auth username/password but when I connect, no
> internet activity happens nor can I ping anywhere (net or lan or
> dialup server IPS) from the windows machine. The relative info is:

I didn't see a thing wrong with anything in your post *except* that you
seem to want to use the mgetty AutoPPP feature but don't require PAP
authentication, and that the use of the pppd option "login" requires
an entry for the call-in username in the system password database (see
"man pppd" - do you really have a username /AutoPPP/ there?;) as well
as a suitable entry in pap-secrets. The username is obtained from the
"user username" option required by PAP authentication.

Beyond that, posting exact copies of the "heap of LCP lines removed",
including timestamps, might be helpful in determining why it appears
that PPP negotiations successfully complete but the dial-in is unable
to even ping the "server" IP address.

It's okay (and normal) for the server's local IP address for the
PPP interface to be the same as the one for the LAN, but the dial-in
IP address must belong to the subnet for the LAN if you want to get
beyond the server.

-- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.
   Use =} to wrap paragraphs in vi. Or put map ^] !}fmt -72^M in
   ~/.exrc and use ^] to wrap to 72 columns or whatever you choose. */

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem login to LAN server
    ... months with 2 admin users who can Connect to a file server on the LAN ... a share and enter her username and password, ...
  • Re: 2 Physical networks
    ... Usually the requirement is to have two companies trying to share a single server and or internet connection ... Are they using such large files over the LAN connection that there is concern over both groups sharing 100 mb bandwidth on the LAN? ... MVPs Do Not Work for Microsoft ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Looking for java programmer to join project
    ... the messenger works and you can send messages across the LAN (which is ... work on the LAN. ... server and with a server ... (when an internet connection is available)). ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Problem login to LAN server
    ... on the 'server' computer to match what is used on the clients. ... I've successfully logged-in ... over the LAN to her server account using a Mac laptop and logged-in ... _my_ username and password, but when I try to mount the LAN share as ...
  • VPN Internet routing problem
    ... I have a Windows Server 2003 configured as a remote access VPN server. ... server's internet connection, anotherwords, not only it is routing my ... Is it possible not to have the internet routed, just the LAN? ...
    (comp.dcom.vpn)